Temptation

June 18, 2018

I was sat looking out the window of the bus as we crossed into Connecticut when I felt the buzzing of my phone in my back pocket. I pulled it out and saw the caller ID was Zach.

"Hey babe." I said lowly into the phone. Most of the group was either asleep or sat back in the living room area so I didn't want to be too loud on the phone. 

"Hey! You on your way to the city?" 

"Yeah, we just crossed into Connecticut about fifteen minutes ago." 

"Awesome! I'll be there on the 21st. Styles' music isn't really my thing but I'm just happy to see you. I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." I rolled my eyes at the mention of Harry's music. Of course he didn't 'like' his music. He loathed the man even though he knew nothing about him. 

"It's only been two weeks Zach."

"Yeah I know but we've never gone this long without seeing each other. I'm allowed to miss you." I nodded, even though he couldn't see me.

"True. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that." I laughed out and he laughed as well. 

"Are you going to stay at the apartment with me while you're here?" I looked at the itinerary I had printed out and saw that Harry had press junkets in New York City on the 19th and 20th so I didn't really have as much down time as I had initially thought over the next couple of days.

"No, the magazine booked me a room at the same hotel as the crew so I gotta stay focused on work." I heard him heavy sigh and I knew what was coming next.

"Rue, this seems like a lot just to prove that you are qualified enough to be a full time writer for the magazine." Here we fucking go.

"Zach. Please don't do this now. I'm exhausted and I just want to go to bed. It's almost midnight." I rubbed my forehead, stressed that he was doing this right now.

"I just think it's too much for you. I'm not saying you aren't capable, clearly Sinclair loved what you last sent him, but...I can't help but feel like you're pulling away from me and I don't like it."

"Well I can't imagine why I'd be pulling away from you when you are being such a supportive boyfriend." I bit back and didn't regret it at all like I usually would. The last week had been so great. Harry and I were on great terms, I was getting a shit ton of content for the article that I never dreamed I'd be getting, Sinclair had raved about the pages I'd sent, and yet here was my boyfriend acting like my entire purpose on this Earth was to be about him.

"I'm not going to have this conversation with you if you are going to be unreasonable." He threw back at me and I just laughed.

"I didn't want to have the conversation at all. I guess you didn't hear me when I said 'please don't do this now,'" I threw my hand in the air in frustration and I honestly couldn't believe he was doing this. 

"Why can't you just be happy being with me? Why do you need this job to make you feel whole? I don't understand why if I'm happy, you aren't happy too." God did he really just say that to me? And why was it always the same conversation over and over again with him. We'd literally had this conversation almost every other day since I left on this tour.

"You know why," was all I said back to him and he went silent, "I need to go. I'm tired, you're tired...but I'm not having this conversation again Zach. You either support me or you don't and I won't be made to feel like my priorities and my dreams are less important than yours." With that, I hung up and I didn't realize I'd had an audience until I stood up, threw my phone down onto the bench, and flicked it off, my middle finger pointing straight up to heaven.