An Old Friend

November 30, 2019

I was immediately filled with warmth and the smell of coffee as I entered the rustic building and headed towards the counter in the center of the room. The cool winter air outside was so dry and the warmth of the coffee shop was more than welcoming, it was alluring. I searched around the room looking to see if the person I was supposed to meet was here yet but...she wasn't. 

That was fine by me, I liked to be seated and relaxed before diving face first into an awkward situation. I asked the barista for a small soy latte and headed off to a table by the brown brick wall in the back where she could see me when she entered. As I sat down, I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the situation...

Why was it that I was always meeting a Styles sibling in a coffee shop?

"Rue!" I heard a deep voice call my name, so I headed up to the counter to retrieve my latte when Gemma walked into the shop. She looked beautiful as ever. Long chocolate brown hair straightened down her back, a pair of black sunglasses sitting atop her head, a black knitted long sleeve sweater underneath a heavy camel coat, with a pair of skinny jeans hugging her small frame. When she smiled at me excitedly I felt a pang in my chest at the dimples that graced her cheeks. They looked too much alike.

"Rue! Oh my God it's been ages! You look great!" She tackled me with a big hug and I forgot how strong she was despite her smallness. 

"Thank you, you look amazing as always." I said back to her, limply hugging her back as I was not one for physical signs of affection. She pulled away and held me at arms length looking me over.

"Have you been working out? I feel muscles." She marveled and poked my arms and my stomach, gaining a chuckle out of me. 

"I started yoga a year ago. One of my best friend's rules after Jack passed. She didn't want me wasting away and yoga is good for the mind." I stated nonchalantly and Gemma's doe eyes held a quiet understanding.

"Well, I'm impressed. You've always looked great but I'm glad you're healthy, mind and body." She gave me a soft smile and then turned her attention to the barista to give her order as I took my leave back to the table I'd set my things at. I took a couple of deep breaths to calm my nerves. As good as it was to see Gemma, she reminded me so much of him. I hadn't expected that. 

"So, where should we start?" Gemma asked as she approached the table and set her coat and purse on the back of her chair. 

"Well how about you tell me about London. How's work?" 

We talked for almost an hour about random things, she avoided asking about Jack unless I brought him up, and she asked about work without bringing up her brother, and I had to say that I actually felt calm. I had forgotten how much we had in common and I was grateful she had carved time out of her schedule to see me. Our coffees were long since abandoned and we were having a good laugh when I decided it was time for me to apologize.

"Gemma, I have to apologize." I muttered as she came back down from her laughter and tilted her head to the side.

"What ever for?" She asked politely but I knew she knew why.

"I didn't know you had written me a letter. I didn't know about any of the letters until a couple weeks ago and I just have to apologize for ignoring you for so long...even before Jack." I watched as she looked down at her hands and then flicked her eyes back up to mine.

"It's fine Rue. I can't be mad at you or hurt. You did what you had to do to be okay, to survive that. I can't and won't blame you for anything. You handled it the way you felt you needed to." I nodded at her words but still felt a bit of shame at my way of handling things.