Before

July 27, 2020

"You did what?!" Rachel's voice screamed into the phone and I closed the bathroom door behind me so that yet another door was between me and whoever could overhear my conversation in the hallway.

"We sort of...made up." I whispered into the phone and stared at myself in the mirror. I was smiling, a smile I hadn't seen from myself in what seemed like ages. The day prior and into this morning had to be some of the best moments of my entire existence. I could finally admit how I felt about Harry and I never wanted to stop. If I could shout it from the rooftops... I would.

"Rue...define made up." 

"Um...well, we were supposed to go get coffee for everyone and then Harry was driving like a maniac and we slid off of the road into a ditch. Then we started screaming at each other and then he admitted how much he felt for me and I don't know, I just felt like this dam broke inside of me and I told him how I felt." There was a brief pause and I heard Rachel huff into the receiver.

"And?!"

"And then Mitch found us and we came back to the house." Again a pause and Rachel was now fuming.

"I swear to God Rue if you two didn't fu-"

"We had sex Rachel."

"OH MY GOD FINALLY! I FUCKING LOVE IT HERE!" I pulled the phone away from my ear as she shouted and I didn't bring it back to my ear until I heard her squeals die down. I hadn't wanted to tell her about the sleeping together part but...Rachel was stubborn.

"Rachel please don't make it a big deal." I begged as I hopped up onto the counter. 

"I'm sorry how can I not make this a big deal? You two can finally be together! You are finally putting your pasts behind you! It's all very fucking romantic Rue and you are going to give me this moment!" I couldn't help but laugh. She was right, we could finally be together and I had to talk my inner demons down off the ledge before they poisoned my good mood. 

"I just still want to take things slow, this is all very new."

"So going slow was fucking him immediately after confessing your love for each other? Please, spare me." I rolled my eyes....I hated when she was right which was frankly all of the time. 

"So....how was it?" I could just see the shit eating grin on her face without even being next to her. Of course she'd ask me this question of all the questions she could ask.

"Rachel..." 

"Rue...." I heaved a sigh and contemplated how I'd put it that wouldn't be too forthright. 

"Let's just say it was mind blowing and leave it at that. I honestly have never felt this way about anyone and feel that much love back so...mind blowing." The phone was quiet...too quiet and I was about to say something else when Rachel finally spoke up.

"I swear I'm not crying, you're crying." We both cracked up laughing and I figured now was as good a time as any for us to end the conversation. I promised her I'd talk to her later and she threatened that I needed to be prepared to give her all of the details later but she knew as well as I did that I was never going to give her those details. What Harry and I did...it was between us and honestly there were no words in the English language that would do it justice anyways.

I glanced at myself in the mirror and tugged on my Pink Floyd band tee so it appeared a little bit baggier in the front and tucked it gently into the front of my high waisted jeans. I looked down and saw my toothbrush and toothpaste were still set out and so I grabbed them, exiting the bathroom, and was going to drop them into my suitcase when I noticed one Harry Styles perched on my bed with a smug look on his face.