Confessions

June 30, 2018

"Rue, I really like the direction you've taken this article. It's fresh, it's conversational, you've really outdone yourself on this one. You've really gotten him to open up to you more so than I think any of us thought he would." I felt relief flood through me. This was week four of sending my pages in to Sinclair and I was so grateful that he was still loving what I was doing. I knew I still had a lot more to go with these last couple of weeks left on the tour but I was pretty proud of what I had accomplished so far.

"Thank you Sinclair, that means a lot to me you have no idea." I was currently sat in the dressing room while Harry was out performing to the Chicago crowd. I was sitting in a chair in front of a long mirror that he used to get ready earlier today.

"I've been passing some of these on to my superiors and they are really happy with your work. You should be proud of yourself Rue. I think you're well on your way to being promoted." I stopped twirling my hair and felt my heart swell.

"I do have one question though..." I felt my face twitch into an expression of confusion.

"Yes?" I asked and waited patiently as Sinclair was clearly trying to figure out whatever it was he wanted to ask me.

"Where is talk of his relationships? Didn't he and that model just break up?" Oh no. I had sincerely hoped that Sinclair and the magazine would be so happy with the content of my article that any talk about his relationships, or lack thereof, would pass under the radar.

"Well if it has nothing to do with his album and the music he is currently playing then I'm not sure it is relevant." I stated and hoped that my confidence in that answer would translate to him. It didn't.

"Of course it has something to do with his music. Half of his songs are about relationships Rue. You need to dig deeper. Don't get me wrong, what you have is great, but if you are getting him to be so open and candid about his personal life....then he should be able to discuss these things with you. You were there when they broke up. What happened?" I was now feeling cornered. I felt panic start to bubble up and I wasn't sure what I should or shouldn't say.

"Uh....they broke up. She ended things because of something that had happened. I don't know what." I hoped that would tide him over but it didn't.

"Rue. I understand if you have formed a friendship of sorts with him...I get it, but...this is your job. You are to report on everything and anything that effects him and his music. You could be getting the information that will inspire his next album but you aren't even thinking that far ahead. You need to start thinking long term. If you only think about this article at this moment, you are going to limit yourself." To be fair...he wasn't wrong but I wasn't sure I was comfortable prying into that part of Harry's life. Any time before that I'd even tried to touch the subject his reactions were either anger or hesitation.

"I'll try."

"That's my girl. Alright get back to work. I look forward to your new pages a week from today." Just like that he ended the conversation. I sat my phone down onto the table in front of me and tried to calm myself down. I was mad. I was mad that Sinclair was still pushing me even after all of the good work I had been doing. Why was it that I needed to dig into Harry's love life to make excellent journalism? Was it because no one else before had been able to do it? No one had been able to really go there with him? I felt almost like this would be taking advantage of him and our trust with one another. We had come such a long way from day one...

At that moment, Lou, Harry's hair stylist, came into the dressing room and smiled up at me when she saw she wasn't alone.

"Hiya dear. How are you?" She asked and I smiled half heartedly.