A Prison Scrap

Lilith wasn't one to cry, but her eyes most definitely did sting as the car pulled away.

She folded her arms across her chest, the January wind suddenly feeling much cooler than it had earlier that day.

It was only a second later did she hear a screech.

Her eyes fell on the blacked out windows of the car, and her heart dropped, knowing immediately who it was.

"No! They can't have- not already! Why didn't you stop them?" Edmund shouted, near falling out the car, spotting the one withholding his- his girlfriend disappear around the corner.

Lilith couldn't find words, simply swallowing as the other Monarchs climbed from the car.

"We're too late." Susan realised quietly, her eyes on her youngest brother who was stood, staring down the street, his eyes dark.

"By seconds." The redhead spoke quietly, relishing in the warmth of Peter's arms before remembering that Sanya had no such luxury with her King at that moment and pulled away, wiping the threatening tears.

"We've to go back to the Palace. Find a way to get her free." She spoke decidedly, approaching Edmund.

"There isn't one." His reply was quiet, his eyes emptier than any of his siblings could remember ever seeing them.

But Lilith refused to let herself care.

"She loves you." She hissed to him darkly. "She loves you and has near given her life to do so. So you snap out of this, go home and work out how to get her free. You owe her that, Your Majesty."

The brunet stared at her a moment before blinking and striding past her, towards the car.

"Where're you going?" Peter ordered, half expecting his brother to turn on him.

"To work this shit out." Was his reply before he slammed the car door shut, his companions taking this as a hint they were to get in also.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How long you've been in these clothes?" Edmund asked softly a whole week later, sitting next to Susan, and across from Sanya.

"A week." The Indian shrugged. "They gave me some track clothes- and I wore them, but I prefer these." They felt familiar.

"At least it's not those ghastly orange jumpsuits like in America." Susan figured SOMEONE should be like they weren't at a deathbed.

Edmund gave her a look. "Perhaps you should take a walk, Su, preferably back to Cair."

The brunette ignored him and turned back to Sanya, who had been glancing at the clock. Twelve minutes left. "How's everything? Anything- cruel?"

"No, no." She shook her dark head, deciding not to complain about the food. "It's just me in my cell- which is good for when I'm allowed to read, and not so good when it's dark."

"Aren't there any lights- any at night?" Edmund asked, ready to go and shake the Superintendent of Wandsworth Prison right then.

"No, no lights." She shook her head before adding, "It's okay, I'm adjusting. I don't like change at all, but I've always been able to adapt well."

Susan felt sick. She shouldn't HAVE to adapt- she didn't deserve to adjust to such surroundings.

She stood up. "I'm going to talk to the Authorities." She lightly touched her brother on the shoulder and wished she could comfort his girlfriend somehow too. "I'll wait outside when I'm done."