Desflurane in The Dorchester

"What's the dress code?"

"I don't know."

"Who else will be there?"

"No idea."

"WHEN is the engagement party?"

"Late October, during the Pujas, so you can come."

"At least you know something, then." Sanya's mother rolled her eyes at her daughter through the laptop screen.

"Where?" Her husband added from beside her. "At the- palace?"

"No, it's- uh- at a hotel. The Dorchester." She struggled to remember the name of the hotel Edmund- and Susan- had told her a dozen times.

"That's- near Hyde Park." Her father, always full of general knowledge, said slowly. "It's extremely expensive."

"Well-" His daughter was vaguely uncomfortable now, glancing around at her small apartment. "I AM engaged to a King."

Her father looked slightly nauseated at the fact too- though it might have just been because his little girl was getting married.

"Well, we'll have to book tickets-"

"Already booked, October 21st." Sanya cut her mother off. "Just for you all, and Aunt and Uncle. NOT the entire khaandaan."

"I would pay a lot to see our family interact with royal people." Her mother smirked. "And you interact with royal people."

"You ARE going to see me interact with royal people." She rolled her eyes. "I've almost got used to it anyway- oh, and this is my last year at my job."

"Why?"

"Monarchs can't have jobs." Her father informed his wife, before looking at his daughter, twinkle in his eye, "You must be happy, you lazy thing."

Sanya gave him an angelic smile. "A little, but I will miss writing and having it be published." Hm, she wondered if Queens could still write fanfiction. "Anyway, tell Sameer best of luck for his exams, I have to leave."

"Where?" Her mother asked nosily. "Those princess lessons you complain about all the time?"

"No, those are on Saturdays." Sanya leaned towards the laptop, about to cut off the video call. "Today's Edmund's birthday-" and WOULD have been our one year anniversary, had it not been for the Law "so we're going out. With his family." She added, unsure if it was a lie or not, but she had to add it nevertheless, never wanting her parents to think she had a hot date. "Bye!"

She was pretty sure she saw her mother's mouth open to say something but before she could, she had already switched off the application.

An hour later, as she was about to lock her door, Sanya looked around the small but cozy home she had lived in for almost two years.

When she got married to Edmund, and had to shift to some castle- well, this place was definitely among the list of the things she would miss.

And that list was high.

-----------------------------------------

"You're drunk!" Edmund hissed, attempting to grab at his brother's sleeve as he got to his feet.

"High Kings don't get drunk."

"This one clearly does." Yet the brunet's words fell flat as the blond straightened up, the room silencing and shifting in their seats and turning to face their table.

"Remind him my parents are here!" Sanya whispered to her fiancé frantically.

"There's no point." Edmund replied in utmost defeat as his brother began to speak.