As Queens Should

"E'mun?"

"Hmm?" He murmured back, eyes heavy. "Go to sleep, you've go-go-got-" He yawned "your first princess lessons tomorrow."

"In the evenin'." Sanya muttered back, sleepiness slurring her words, curling even closed into him. "It's ony mi'nigh' now."

"Fair enough." He faced her and looked into her eyes, both of them blinking blearily. "Did you want something?"

"Twen'y questions?"

He gave her a look and she laughed.

"Alrigh', just Edmund, no twen'y questions. Just- did you mean what you said? Abou' wanting to be with me no longer after meeting me? Abou'- about falling in love?"

"Do you think I've been lying these two months?" He asked, and when he saw her shrug, pulled her in even closer. "I don't lie, and especially not to you, oh True one."

"I wish you'd said earlier...we could have ages... months... years, maybe..."

"We've not even known each a year and I'm not sleepy enough not to recognise a Harry Potter quote." He told her pointedly. "And I wanted to- I was going to. Right after the Memorial, I was going to ask you out- but I remembered the fucking Law."

"That's what you wanted to- and by 'thoughts you shouldn't have', you meant about-" At least her slur was gone now, though speaking was still as difficult.

"You. It was always you." Edmund said quietly, hands idly tracing patterns on her pajama-clad back.

"You want children?"

"I beg your pardon?"

She only chuckled at his affronted look and blushing cheeks. "Was just remembering your speech- you said the Law wasn't amended just for us but for ou-your children." She shrugged. "Simply curious."

"I never thought about it, never thought children were a necessity but if I had them, I would love them with all I have." He gave her a sideways glance but it was difficult to discern her expression in the dim lighting. "Wouldn't mind them, I mean. And you?"

"I love children- especially babies, though they're scary, to be quite honest." She laughed, wondering if it was too soon to be talking of all this. "I do want them. Definitely. Not an army of babies but at least 2. Or 3. Or 4. Or-"

"I get it." He laughed, shifting and pressing a kiss to the scar on her chest. "M sure you'll be a fantastic mum."

"I'm sure you will too." Now she DEFINITELY had no idea what she was saying, focused on his lips.

"I'd be the best mum, shush you." He laughed but moved away, making her groan inwardly. "You should sleep now."

"Yes, Your Majesty." She said mockingly but was surprised at how quickly sleep overtook her- at least would have been, had she been conscious.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Oh, isn't he adorable? You must tell Lady Prunaprismia congratulations from us all!" Lucy insisted, scrolling through Caspian's pictures of his new-born cousin adoringly.

"Perhaps it should come from us, Lu." Susan spoke pointedly, yet not as scolding as she would have liked. How could she, when her boyfriend and family were finally sat around eating together and not a single dirty look had been thrown by either of her brothers- yet, at least. "You can write a true letter yourself, if you like."

"I can do that." Lucy replied happily, albeit rather reluctantly handing Caspian's phone back.

"Lost me my letter-writing-job now, have you?" Edmund spoke, though he couldn't care too much as he continued devouring a line of Hassleback Potatoes.