The Expectations of Monarchs

"I've never been to a funeral." Sanya spoke quietly as she looked into the mirror, feeling as colourless as the black dress she wore.

Edmund came by her, his own face solemn, "Never?"

Her lips trembled and she bit down savagely on it. "No, never. I was- was always a sheltered child. I've been to graveyards  but- not funerals."

"Are you sure you'll be- you want to go?" He asked, watching her look away from the mirror. "Lilith wouldn't want you to go if it makes you uncomfortable."

Sanya swallowed, eyelids fluttering as she looked up at the ceiling for a second. "I'll be alright. I promise, Edmund."

She had to be strong.

"Thank you for the necklace."

Her fiancé glanced at her neck- it had been Lilith who had told him one day out of nowhere, with her signature suggestive look, that Sanya liked pearls.

"I was going to give them to you after the engagement dinner, but... I couldn't. She thought you'd look good in them."

Sanya couldn't reply to that, so only nodded.
"She'd be so happy she's being- being buried here. Instead of Westminster Abbey or some other random place for Royals she never even went to."

Edmund nodded, unable to think of a reply.
"She'll be at peace."

"Maybe she already is." Sanya replied, closing her eyes for a second, thinking of the redhead's last smile.

"Shall we?" Edmund held out his arm to her.

Don't let anything stop you.

"Let's go." She nodded, taking his arm.
-

The High King forced his head up as he adjusted his tie but- it- just- wasn't- going- RIGHT.

How had he managed before- before he'd had her?

Tie attempt now forgotten, as most was when the redhead flittered into the blond's mind, he saw his own blue eyes staring back at him in the mirror.

How was he to speak today? In front of a country- his country... THEIR country?

How was he to address them when he still saw her blood on his hands- when he still felt how the life drained from her-

Yet Peter's thoughts were sharply shoved aside by a knock at the door.

The High King resisted the urge to step straight off his balcony and strode across his- THEIR room, pulling the door open. "Susan, I said I don't- Oh." Peter frowned. "Caspian."

"I was just sent-" the Lord glanced back down the corridor. "to remind you there's half an hour until- until it starts."

The King nodded, "I'm aware. Thank you."

The brunet was about to nod also, and flee back to his girlfriend, yet something in the exhausted High King's eyes made him say, "Your tie-"

Peter gave a loose shrug, the Lord cautiously lifting his hands to fix it.

"There! Christ, you almost look like royalty!"

The King gave him an incredibly mildly amused look- dangerously on the border of exasperation before he turned and dropped back to sit on his bed.

"I can see why she liked you."

Caspian smiled weakly, "She was my best friend. Closest I had to a sister, if anything, thinking back."

"I hated you. I couldn't hate her when I found about all the- the secrets. But I hated you. And for winning over my sister. And I can assure you that it was solely Li- her idea for you to give her away."