24

"Do you think you still own this palace?" - Lee Eun-Byul

Eun-Byul woke up to the sound of her telephone ringing, the girl groaning as it was still dark outside. The moonlight seeped through her window, the white light converged on the buzzing phone. She gently picked it up, grumbling. "Hello?"

"Eun-Byul!" Namjoon breathed out, worry evident in his deteriorating voice. "The King... he's ill. Please..." That was all it took for the girl to slam the phone down, grabbing her bag full of equipment, her coat, and her shoes, and running through the town half-barefoot.

Once the familiar girl reached the palace, the guards looked just as stunned as she was. The girl hesitantly bowed a small smile on her face. "Hello, Guard Wonho, Guard Joo-Heon. It's good to see you again after our departure."

"You too, Prince- I mean, Doctor Eun-Byul." Wonho rephrased, gulping. "You must be here to cure the King?"

"Indeed. Aside from losing a lot of my beauty sleep, the help is worth it." Joo-Heon laughed, winking at her.

"We'll show you to the King's room. Everyone is gathered there at the moment. His illness has severely gotten worse." Joo-Heon inquired, the girl gulping as she was afraid to face the Park family once again after such a long time. The two guards observed her uneasy look and gazed at each other, exchanging a look of alarm. "Shall we go?"

"...Yes." Eun-Byul choked out, smiling as natural as she could. "Let us go." 

She followed the two guards to the King's bedroom, light chatter heard behind the marble doors. Wonho gulped, turning to the girl. "We're here, Eun-Byul. If you ever need anything, well, we're right outside the palace. We'll check up on you."

"Mhm!" Joo-Heon agreed happily, making the female chuckle.

"Thank you, both of you." She bowed, making both waves her off, shaking their head.

"Don't thank us, Eun-Byul. It's our job." Joo-Heon giggled before the two strolled back to their position. Eun-Byul took a deep breath before pushing through the gigantic doors, all eyes landing on her. The past king sat up immediately, trying to get out of his dark-colored red bed.

"No need, Mr. Park." She chuckled, shaking her hands. "You're ill, you need to rest." Her eyes scanned the room, all stunned by her appearance except Namjoon. She's changed physically and mentally over the years, and it showed just by her posture and appearance.

"Eun-Byul!" Hoseok cheered, her eyes dragging towards his. "You're finally back!"

The boy pounced on her, the girl barely moving an inch as she patted his back. "It's nice to see you too, Prince Hoseok." She grinned at everyone, sparing a glance at the present King. "All of you. It's been far too long."

"Indeed," Mr. Park weakly stated, the doctor rushing to his aid. She pulled down her stethoscope, checking his heartbeat as the family was all silent. Jimin couldn't help but tear up by the sight of her, the girl entering his life once again bringing joy yet sorrow in his heart. He was still upset with himself all these years because he never fought for the love they shared.

Her hair was a lighter tint, her body was taller and more shaped. Who knew three years was enough for this used-to-be princess to shape into her real dream.

"Mr. Park, have you felt dizziness, fatigue, anything of that sort?"

"...I have." He nodded. "Sometimes my mouth would become sore, or my heart starts to races and I feel like I can't breathe. They tell me it's just anxiety."

"Well..." The girl sighed. "It's more than just anxiety, Mr. Park. You may potentially have sickle cell anemia; in simpler terms, it means your red blood cells have been misshapen and are breaking down."