💸 | SIX.

"low life, for life 'cuz i'm heartless."

, The Weeknd

•••

"Nay," Xavier knocked on Re'Najsha's open door to get her attention, as Re'Najsha was sitting on the edge of her bed and her eyes were wandering around her room, all kinds of thoughts racing around in her head.

"Hey, Zay." Re'Najsha finally looked over at him, and plastered a faint smile on her face that disappeared almost immediately.

"You good?" Xavier asked, letting himself into the room and Re'Najsha scooted over a bit to make room for him to sit down beside her. She let her eyes shift to the carpeted floor for a brief moment before looking back up at him and nodding. But Xavier refused to believe more than a simple head nod.

"You know when I ask if you's good," Xavier says, "I genuinely mean are you good. 'Ion want my best friend to feel like she has to deal wit' anything alone. Talk to me, Nay."

"Well," Re'Najsha starts to speak at a quiet tone, due for the first time of her talking in over an hour, "at the end of the day I feel like I'mma be goin' through this alone anyways. Nobody seems to really understand how I feel except me. And when I try to explain my pain to people, it's so difficult to explain. I know how I feel, I just don't know how I feel. And it's really overwhelmin' 'cuz my family is always busy with their things, and we're all at different points right now."

"I'm not an expert on this pep talk shit so bare wit' me," Xavier replies, causing Re'Najsha to let out a small laugh, "I'm tryin' my best to understand where you comin' from, 'ight? But when it comes to mental health, family should definitely be the way to go; am I the only one who knows...?"

Xavier trailed off, not wanting to blurt out her business with her bedroom door open, and everyone downstairs. But Re'Najsha already knew what he was talking about.

Xavier was the only one who knew Re'Najsha was using drugs and it wasn't even because she told him. One day, Kentrell had asked her to go upstairs to get her and when he knocked on her door numerous times without an answer, he let himself in and there Re'Najsha was heavy asleep on her bed with an open bottle of Xanax on her dresser.

And it wasn't even just Xanax she used, as the years continued she started to use a wide variety of different physically-numbing drugs.

Her emotions weren't numbed completely, but it helped her take her mind off of things majority of the time.

Re'Najsha sheepishly nodded at Xavier's questioned and exhaled, cutting her eyes from his letting them wander around her room again.

"Don't rely on dat stuff to make you feel better, Nay." Xavier told Re'Najsha, "I'm jus' bein' real wit' you. They'll only come in handy when it's convenient for you, and it won't make the situation any less worse than it is."

Re'Najsha was takin' in everything her best friend was telling her, but she also knew how hard it would be to come up from it.

"Sometimes you jus' need to find someone you can trust to help you feel better," Xavier paused before playfully nudging Re'Najsha to lighten to mood, "Startin' with yourself."

~Michael~
"connection"

"What the hell are we doin' here, Quinton?" Sage smacked his teeth as we were comin' up toward a apartment complex, the dim streetlights kinda helpin' us see. Neighborhood dead as hell. Barely anybody here, and we see a couple of cars parked in the lot every now and then.