💸 | TWENTY-EIGHT.

"I hate feelin' like I'm in the same situation all over again. shit makes me feel like I got unfinished business with the world."

, Re'Najsha

•••

It was an early Summer morning in Owens' household, and everyone was still fast asleep, it being only barely seven in the morning. Re'Najsha had awaken from her sleep and when she attempted to go back to sleep, her mind was too busy racing all over the place.

Rubbing the tiredness away from her eyes as she exited her room and the cold atmosphere that lingered throughout the house, Re'Najsha started down the hall about to go downstairs to most likely watch TV and eat some cereal. Nothing too fancy.

As she passed Kentrell's room, then Va'Leia's room, she started to pass her parents' room until she heard light speaking between Raakel and Kaede. Noticing that her parent's bedroom door was slightly cracked, Re'Najsha was more than curious than to see what her parents were discussing so early that morning.

Placing herself at the door, she carefully rested her left hand on the doorknob as her eyes focused themselves between the doorway and the door which was barely an inch apart.

As Raakel and Kaede indistinctly spoke for the first few seconds, Re'Najsha remained at the door in attempt to listen to what they were saying. She heard the hostility in Raakel's voice, and Re'Najsha being fifteen at the time she had high suspicions that something was going on.

"Well what are we supposed to do until then?" Raakel questioned Kaede as he paced the room, looking at him with a perturbed expression, "I can't keep doing this if all your mind is focused on is the streets. Are you not aware that you have three children who need you, Kaede?"

"Why you think I'm in the streets in the first place?" Kaede irritatedly tells her, "I was in a gang before we had them, it's not like I can just up and leave. Especially if I'mma shot caller Raakel, you think that's how it works?"

Standing from the bed, Raakel aligned her eyes with Kaede's and furiously glared at him in response to his statement. "I know that's not how it works," Raakel started barely above a whisper to try to keep from raising her voice so early in the morning, "but not only have you gotten me wrapped in that, but my son as well. And I'll be damned if I let anything happen to either of you."

"Kentrell is under my wing out there, and you know that's solid. Keep in mind that's my son too, and at the end of the day as head of the family I'd be damned if I let anything happen to any of y'all. Do you know how much fuckin' weight that carries for me?" Kaede replied to Raakel, as Re'Najsha continued to listen to her parent's conversation at the door.

"Have you talked to your mama recently?" Raakel crossed her arms, in attempt to change the subject even though it fell under the same category.

Cocking a brow, Kaede played clueless. "Why?"

"You know why." Raakel furrowed her eyebrows at him in disbelief. She knew he knew what she was talking about, and out of their long years of being together she knew when he was trying to dodge her questions... even though he made that pretty obvious, "I need to get access to that bank account you had registered for the kids. I know you wouldn't be gullible enough to leave that out and about so either your sister has access now, or Valentina does."

"Neither of 'em do." Kaede told Raakel, "I got the money cashed and closed the account."

"What are you talkin' about, Kaede?" Raakel huffs, and Kaede blankly shrugs.