💸 | THIRTY-EIGHT.

"I'm jus' tryna' stay alive. my parents didn't die for me to beat around the bush and be a pussy my whole life."

, Re'Najsha

•••

"Ouu, somebody's in their feelings." Kassidy teased as her and Michael were currently in Michael's car, driving down the busy LA road. Quietly sighing and shifting his body in the driver's seat, Michael avoided eye contact unamused. They've only known each other for barely two hours, and it was crazy to Michael that he decided to hop in the car with her. But he was going with his instincts, and if Kassidy was up to no good he would've sensed it by now.

"Hey, Siri, define feelings..." Michael sardonically responded, and as Siri actually came to announce the definition he immediately picked up his phone from his lap and pressed the home button, turning it off. Averting his eyes to Kassidy, he falsely smiled.

"Suddenly I can't hear."

"Not funny. Didn't laugh." Kassidy narrowed her eyes at Michael, as he did the same briefly before turning his attention back to the road as they came to a red light. Before Kassidy and him left, they'd gotten the address of where they were headed and every time Michael had gotten a lead on something he was hoping that it was helping him get a step closer to what his goal was.

Although he knew the possible outcome of helping Re'Najsha find the money that was left for her and the other Owens kids, he still wanted to help despite the fact he knew that Re'Najsha would end up leaving LA or even California as a whole without him.

But he was still willing to help her. Though Michael's been through hell and back his whole life, he knows Re'Najsha has been as well. He still has yet to get in touch with her, and he's still going out of his way to help from a distance. Never would Michael think he'd be in the position he is in now with Re'Najsha especially after their first encounter almost a year ago.

As soon as he made eye contact with her the first night they met, he immediately read how damaged she was. It wasn't hard, because although Re'Najsha isn't too fond of opening up she wears her heart on her sleeve. Every time Michael looks at her it's like he's peering into her soul itself.

It's not pretty but then again, neither is his.

Michael wasn't "in his feelings", just his thoughts. There's a difference.

Michael got out his feelings a long time ago, that's what makes him Michael. The only person who'd truly know when Michael is feeling is Re'Najsha.

And Kassidy's attitude reminded him of her, which made him wish she'd come home even more. He wasn't feeling very strongly, he was thinking about her... and missing her. Feeling just a little.

Part of it scared him, because he hasn't felt this way with a girl since N'Bryah. Sure Re'Najsha's difficult sometimes—a lot of the time—but they have a connection that feels unreal to the both of them. They bully each other like middle schoolers, but at the end of the day the chemistry is definitely there. There's no denying that. It's hard to look into being an outsider, but only the two of them really know how they feel.

And it runs deep.

Even though Kassidy portrayed Re'Najsha, she wasn't Re'Najsha. Which only irritated Michael even more for some reason that he can't even explain himself.

"I didn't say it for you to laugh." Michael kept a deadpan expression, starting to drive again as the light turned green after a max of about three minutes. "I ain't Kevin Hart, nigga."