💸 | FORTY-SIX.

"everybody's a victim in my eyes, when i ride it's a murderous rhythm and outside became pitch black."

, Kendrick Lamar

•••

~Narrator~

Re'Najsha looked at her mother from across the table with vexing eyes, not wanting to even be in her presence at the slightest. It was still hard for her to process everything, and after the recent events it would be even more difficult than it already was. Michael'd come with her for support, knowing that Re'Najsha would probably end up snapping at Raakel if she even thought saying the wrong thing. The tension at the moment was high, but Re'Najsha's undying rage was even higher. The time read 9:43AM, and the three of them were at a breakfast diner due to the fact that Re'Najsha didn't feel comfortable letting her into the house—the house of Raakel's now dead sister-in-law to be specific.

"Thank you for givin' me a chance to talk to you," Raakel solemnly said, and Re'Najsha just mugged her. She didn't have the energy to put on a fake smile or attitude, so she simply wasn't going to.

"Mhm," Re'Najsha dully hummed, and Raakel then turned her attention to Michael.

"We haven't officially met. I'm Raakel," she introduced with a friendly smile, and Michael plastered a smile on his face as well as Raakel held out her hand for a simple handshake, and Michael respectfully accepted.

"Michael." he nodded, before Raakel continued to try and break the ice.

"Are you her boyfriend?" Raakel narrowed her eyes, a smile coming to her face. "I haven't met any of her close... guy friends besides Xavier."

"Well maybe you would have if you didn't keep our asses in the dark for almost five years," Re'Najsha rudely interrupted, and Raakel's smile slowly went away. Michael would've tried to get Re'Najsha to at least respect the fact that they were in public as of right now, but he honestly understood her pain to a certain level. Being so shattered over a situation only for it to come out as a lie years later is a very hard thing to settle with. And she wouldn't be "settled" with it for awhile.

"Re'Najsha..." Michael lowly called to her, and the two of them exchanged looks. Just with his eyes alone she knew that he was telling her to ease up, before she shifted her eyes back to Raakel but she didn't keep the eye contact for long. She couldn't even bare to look at her own mother.

"Watchu' want?" Re'Najsha impatiently asked, and Raakel let go of a deep breath.

"Just... tryin' to catch up," Raakel vaguely responded, and Re'Najsha then traced her tongue over the top row of her teeth. Her mind was like one big thing of fog, and it effected her train of thought. She was clearly in distress, and she wanted Raakel to see that. "How's Va'Leia?"

"She's fine," Re'Najsha kept her answer blunt and short, and Raakel slowly nodded before proceeding.

"And your brother?"

"Dead," Re'Najsha muttered, nearly choking on the word just seconds after it came out of her mouth. She felt uncontrollable tears filling her ducts before she blinked them back, and sniffled before she repeated herself. "He's fuckin' dead."

"Oh..." Raakel whispered to herself, becoming overwhelmed. She definitely didn't want to come back to the news that her son was dead, but she managed to keep her composure. "What happened to him?"