💸 | FORTY-SEVEN.

"bad situations seem so repetitive in our lives... will we ever be happy? and i mean happy, not satisfied."

, Re'Najsha

•••

"Aye," Xavier spoke to Mad Dog in a hushed manner, as if he was anxious that any of the others would hear—even though they were inside. Mad Dog and his gang were packing up and preparing to leave California and back to Illinois, him being released from the hospital that morning. Mad Dog closed the car door on the passenger's side, where he'd grabbed Solana's cellphone due to the fact she'd left it in there by accident. Turning around to see Xavier approaching him, Mad Dog couldn't help but feel a slight spark of vex.

Why would he be joyous about conversing with the guy who knew his baby mama was pregnant before him? It was all just jumbled information in his mind, but the thing on Xavier's mind was jumbled by a greater amount. "I know you'n like me too much right now, but I could really use yo help, man."

Mad Dog traced his tongue over the top row of his perfectly straight teeth, all while looking Xavier up and down. " 'Ion know 'bout 'dat one, dawg. I don't do favors fa' niggas 'Ion like."

"Look, I know you pissed 'bout the whole Solana thing, 'ight? But thas' not somethin' you need'a take out on me, talk it up wit' her when you get the chance. You's the only one I really feel like I can let in about this, okay?" Xavier spoke, and Mad Dog could easily sense the alertness that fogged his expression.

Mad Dog didn't reply for a few seconds, debating if he really should help Xavier. Technically, it wasn't Xavier's fault that Solana had come to him for advice—it was convenient for her because Xavier has a kid of his own—but it didn't make the situation any less disrespectful in Mad Dog's perspective. But since Mad Dog knew better than to put all the blame on Xavier over a situation that basically had nothing to do with him, he finally gave in.

"Talk, 'n talk fast, brotha'. I have a deep hatred for the sound of yo voice and presence," Mad Dog hastily told Xavier, and Xavier's face lit up just slightly because he thought for sure getting Mad Dog to talk to him would be much more difficult.

" 'Ight, so somethin' came up... and I kinda' need... your help," Xavier vaguely began and when Mad Dog cocked a suspicious eyebrow, he defined his statement, "I kinda need you ta' gimme a hand financially."

Mad Dog's face was blank, eyeing Xavier like he lost his mind. Blinking, Mad Dog let out a light scoff with an amused quarter smile touching his lips.

"Thas' a joke right, Skittles? Ain't no way I flew across the country ta' get my money back just to spend it on yo Black ass," Mad Dog immediately opposed, which Xavier knew he would meaning that he would have to explain the situation to its entirety.

"I knew you was gon' say that," Xavier started, "but jus' hear me out–"

"Fuck no," Mad Dog sternly cut in, jerking his head back. Trailing a frustrated hand down his face, Xavier began speaking again.

"I really need you ta' let me explain this shit to you, 'ight? It's deadass life or death and as long as I'm around, nobody is fuckin' safe."

•••

~Michael~