💸 | TWENTY-SIX.

"no role models and I'm here right now, no role models to speak of."

, J. Cole

•••

"This might sound whack comin' from me, but you jus' bein' a dumbass. You not supposed to use your anger as an excuse to be rude to people, it's actually taken as a sign of weakness." Michael informed Re'Najsha, who was sprawled out across her bed.

The nighttime had fallen upon California, and everyone was popped in for the night. The gang excluding Michael, Kentrell, and Jailen had went downtown to pick up more product and had been gone for almost an hour now.

With his hands remaining in the pockets of his plain black hoodie as he stood beside Re'Najsha's bed where she remained lying down, she smacked her teeth at him. "What? How?"

"You wanted to attempt to kill DeAndre. You really askin' how?" Michael cocked a brow at her, and Re'Najsha had just huffed boredly in response. Finally sitting up and looking to her left up at him, Re'Najsha looked at him with lost eyes and he immediately identified the look in her eyes.

"What?"

"You make it look so easy." Re'Najsha shrugs, "You're so nonchalant and chill, you act like you don't care about anything."

"I do care. I jus' don't give a fuck."

Michael cared about a lot of things, things that had hurt him in the past, but once he learned to push his feelings down and live for himself it wasn't that hard for him to keep a straight face for almost everything on the outside. But on the inside he knew he was falling apart. Keeping his composure is probably one of his best traits.

Continuing, Michael reflected a look of slight dispassion but then again, he knew he cared, "Don't act like you's easy to break either, ma. You and that damn attitude should be a profession."

"Ha ha ha." Re'Najsha sardonically responded with a deadpan expression, "Jus' 'cuz I'm not easy to break doesn't mean I don't. I do it everyday."

"Little personal, don't you think?" Michael cocked a brow, while wearing a quarter smug smile along his face and Re'Najsha inwardly rolled her eyes at him. Usually they'd be exchanging insults with one another, but at the end of the day it feels for them as if they're the same person.

"And yet you're still listening. Like always." Re'Najsha started to flash a small smile, playfully nudging him in the stomach only causing him to stumble back a little. Tilting his head to the side, Michael raised his eyebrows at Re'Najsha in a complacent manner.

"Better slow down, ma. That sounded like a compliment."

"It was." Re'Najsha genuinely says, "Besides Xavier, Nelopy, and KaLeiya, you're probably the only other person who doesn't befriend me in pity of my dead parents and aunt and past. But I mean it's fine now, I guess it."

Drawing his eyebrows together, Michael was contemplating on whether or not he should ask for clarification if everything was really fine. He noticed the unsure tone that was in her voice when saying that, but he already knew the answer to the question he asked, "Is it?"

Opening her mouth to speak while nothing came out, Re'Najsha ducked her lips to the side before briefly breaking eye contact then sighing. Bringing her attention back to Michael, their eyes deeply bored into one another's as if Michael was staring straight into her soul with zero effort.