Season 1 - Breathing

When I had fully woken up from my sleepy state, I was in the Wheeler's basement, listening to someone's breathing. How I got there was a bit of a blur. What I remembered was Dustin prodding me awake and Lucas screaming in my ear through a walkie talkie - how we needed to go to Mike's right now!

I was too groggy to think straight, so I had shooed Dustin out and put on the first thing I saw, which luckily had been a somewhat decent outfit. We then got on our bikes, picked up Lucas, and then got to Mike's. I assumed the boys had told Mike about my state, because I was immediately greeted with the strongest cup of coffee I'd ever had. It tasted terrible, but it got me to my senses, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

El sat in her fort, fiddling with a walkie talkie in her lap. We all sat in a semi circle around her, listening intently to the shaky breathing coming from it.

"We keep losing the signal, but you heard it, right?" Mike said. I bit my lip.

"Yeah," Lucas said, glancing at Dustin. "I heard a baby."

Mike furrowed his eyebrows and leaned forward. "What?"

"Mike, you obviously tapped into a baby monitor," Lucas said. "It's probably just the Blackburns' next door."

"Uh, did that sound like a baby to you?" Mike said, his voice sarcastic. He glanced up at me, urging me to say something.

"Well," I cleared my throat, shooting a look at the other two boys. "It didn't sound like a baby, but it could've been anyone."

"No!" Mike smacked his forehead. "That was Will!"

"Mike..."

"(Y/n), you don't understand." Mike said. "He spoke last night. Words! He was singing that weird song he loves. Even El heard him!"

"Oh, well, if the weirdo heard him, then I guess-"

"Are you sure you're on the right channel?" Dustin asked, cutting Lucas off.

"I don't think it's about that," Mike said, glancing down at the small machine in Eleven's lap. "I think, somehow, she's channeling him."

Dustin's eyes went wide and he shifted excitedly beside me. "Like... Like Professor X!"

"Yeah," Mike smiled, enjoying the connection to the X-Men.

"Are you actually believing this crap?" Lucas said, glancing between his friends. Then, he looked up at me. "(Y/n)?"

I clenched my jaw. "I mean, it seems pretty unlikely that the body they found in the quarry wasn't Will's..." I stopped and looked over to Eleven. "But, then again, this chick has weird powers, so I guess anything's possible at this point."

Dustin and Mike smiled at me.

"Do you remember when Will fell off his bike and broke his finger?" Dustin said to Lucas. "He sounded a lot like that breathing does now."

"Did you guys not see what I saw?" Lucas questioned as if we were all out of our minds. "They pulled Will's body out of the water. He's dead!"

I flinched slightly and grabbed Dustin's wrist.

"Well, maybe it's his ghost." Dustin said. "Maybe he's haunting us."

"It's not his ghost," Mike rolled his eyes.

"So how do you know that?" Lucas raised his eyebrows, waiting for an answer.

"I just do!" Mike said.

"Then what was that in the water?"

"I don't know!" Mike yelled. We all stopped and stared at him. "All I know is Will is alive. Will is alive! He's out there somewhere. All we have to do is find him."