Season 2 - The Cellar

I watched out the window as my mother called for Mews, shaking his favourite orange bell. It was sad, yes, but right now, that was the last thing I was thinking about.

The previous night, after Mom had gone to bed, Dustin and I sat in our fort, coming up with a plan.

"What if we faked a phone call from someone across town, saying they found Mews?" I said to my brother who was shoving popcorn into his face. "She'd be away for the whole day trying to find him."

"Yeah," Dustin said, popcorn falling out of his mouth. I scowled and pulled the bowl away from him. "We could lure Dart out with meat, or something, and then lead a trail into the cellar."

"We can hide in the shed so that he doesn't see us," I said, shifting under the blankets that covered us up. The fort was huge, and took up the majority of the living room. We also made it so that the TV was a part of our space.

"Then, once he's in, I'll run out and close the doors on him," Dustin said. I nodded with a smile and fist bumped him before I fell asleep.

When the morning came around, my mom was getting scared that he wasn't just hiding in the house and that he'd escaped, so I told her to go look outside. In that time, Dustin went to the phone and got ready to start talking while I watched her outside.

She started walking up the path and, right before she walked in, I flopped down onto the couch and laid on my back as if I was just relaxing.

"Now, now!" I whisper-yelled to Dustin.

"Kids, you're sure he's not in your rooms?" Mom began before Dustin held up a finger to her, signalling that he was on the phone.

"Uh huh," Dustin said, pretending to listen to someone. "Thank you so much, Mr. McCorkle. Thank you so much."

I glanced between my mom and my brother, trying to figure out if she was buying it.

"You are a true lifesaver," Dustin continued. "All right, this was great. Thank you. All right. Have a good one."

"Wrap it up," I coughed into my elbow to which Dustin shot me a glare. Mom looked at me strangely. "Sorry, something in my throat."

"Bye bye, now," Dustin said. "All right. You, too."

He put down the phone gently and turned to our mom.

"All right, great news," he said.

"They found him?" Mom said, a little too excited. I shifted on the couch, trying to hide my face so that she wouldn't see my grimace.

"No," Dustin said. "But they saw him wandering around Loch Nora."

I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking that he was stretching it. "Loch Nora?"

"Yes," Dustin snapped. I shook my head and looked out the window, only turning back when Mom began to cry.

"How did the poor baby get all the way out there?" She said, wiping her eyes with a tissue.

"I don't know," Dustin said, holding her hands. "Lost, I guess. But they're gonna look for him. (Y/n) and I will stay here, just in case they call again, and you're gonna go help look. Yeah? Yeah?"

She nodded, tears flowing down her face as she smiled in relief.

"Okay," Dustin reached toward her. "Give me a hug, give me a hug. Go get him."

"You're gonna find him, all right?" I said, encouraging her as she walked back to the door.

"We can find him," Dustin smiled.