Season 2 - The Pollywog

The air was cold and damp as I walked home, my arms wrapped around my torso to keep myself somewhat warm. I was getting angrier and angrier with myself for not thinking before driving Steve home with every step, cursing when a breeze blew or a group of drunk teenagers drove by.

I wanted to be mad at Steve, too, for being idiotic enough to think driving himself home was a good idea, but I couldn't bring myself to it. I didn't know the full story of what happened with Nancy, but it had to be bad enough to make him storm away from her and wanting to get as far away as possible. And how could I have just let him drive alone? He could have killed himself. And then his blood might be on my hands...

Or maybe it was how he looked so sad, and tired, and how his brown eyes made me feel like mush. It was a weird feeling, and I wanted so badly to not feel it because I did not have a crush on my friend's boyfriend, and I wouldn't let myself, even if I did.

Which I don't, I thought to myself, kicking a rock on the ground as hard as I could. Because that would be wrong, and Harrington is a dick. A dick who is dating your best friend, and who probably doesn't even know how to spell Wheeler.

I nodded to myself, convincing myself that I was right and that Steve Harrington was nothing more than a boy with a nice car and a douchey smile.

Deep in my thoughts, I was only brought out of my daze when a car's horn went off beside me. I jumped and whipped around to see Jonathan's grey Ford pulled up to the curb. He reached over the middle to roll down the passenger window and stared out at me.

"You need your DD, now?"

I smiled, relieved that I would be getting out of the cold and into Jonathan's nice, warm car. I practically ran across the grass strip separating us and flung open the door before getting in and slamming it closed. I sighed as the heat hit my skin and rolled up the window as fast as I could.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you-" I was cut off when I heard something move in the back seat and screamed when I turned to see an unconscious Nancy laying in the back.

"Shh!" Jonathan shushed me when I put a hand over my mouth to stop my screech.

"Sorry," I whispered, heart racing as I looked frantically between my two best friends. "Why is Nancy blacked out in your car?"

Jonathan quickly explained to me that he saw me rush after Steve earlier in the night and, after we left, Nancy had stumbled out into the party again. Jonathan went to see if she was okay when she passed out in his arms and he decided to take her home but didn't want to go in alone, so they'd spent the past twenty minutes looking for me.

I glanced at his watch to see that it had only just turned ten, and that Steve and I had only left the party half an hour ago. Time had seemed to slow down with him, and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing.

"How did you know where to look?" I asked Jonathan, buckling my seat belt as he began to drive again.

"I didn't," Jonathan said. "I wasn't sure I'd find you at all. But I decided to drive along Elm and, low and behold, you were walking down it."

I nodded. "Let's get Nancy home, shall we?"
~~~
Sneaking Nancy back into her own house drunk wasn't easy, but with Jonathan carrying her and me on lookout, we managed to get her into bed unnoticed. I silently thanked the Wheeler's afterward for not having any pets.

When we got back to the car, Jonathan sighed in relief before starting the car. "That was the scariest thing I've ever done in my life."

I laughed out loud. "More scary than fighting a Demogorgan?"