Season 2 - Expanding the Menu

It was just past two o'clock when we stepped into the junkyard. It had taken us a while to get there because we stopped for lunch and hadn't been walking particularly fast. The sky was a bright blue and the sun warmed up the fall air.

"Oh, yeah," Steve said as we stopped to look around the yard. At some point on the walk, he'd put his sunglasses on and now lowered them to see the yard better. "Yeah, this will do. This will do just fine. Good call, guys."

I nudged Dustin's shoulder as Steve started heading toward the old vehicles and we fist bumped. Then, we followed after, dropping a few more pieces of meat on the ground until we reached the middle of the yard and dumped out our buckets into one big pile.

"I said medium-well!" A voice called from the distance, making us all look toward the sound. On top of a hill lining the junkyard stood Lucas, holding onto his bike, with Max beside him. He waved to us, a smile on his face, as we stared back.

"Who's that?" Steve asked us as the two started walking over. When Dustin didn't answer, Steve looked at me.

"She's the girl," I said, referring to my brother's crush. Steve's mouth parted in understanding, and my face melted into a warm smile when Lucas and Max were standing in front of us. "Hey, you two."

"I told Max about... Everything," Lucas said, looking a little scared. Steve raised his eyebrows and Dustin's jaw dropped, but I simply smiled bigger and went to put my hand on Max's shoulder.

"Welcome to the gang," I told her. Lucas grinned at me, like he'd known I'd be okay with all this. My brother, however, snapped out of whatever daze he'd been and dragged his friend by the arm to sit behind an old red car.

Steve, Max and I watched them go, all three of us confused, before Steve sighed and looked back to us. "Let's get started, yeah?"

In order to catch and kill Dart, we needed somewhere we could hide out.

"What about that bus?" I said, pointing. I recognized it as the one the boys and I had stayed in when we were hiding El. Steve looked over and nodded, putting his bag onto the ground.

"Let's get some scrap metal, then," Steve said. "Y'know, for cover."

He began walking off in the opposite direction to find metal, so I turned to Max.

"Wanna come with me?" I asked. She nodded gently and followed me when I started walking. "This all must seem pretty crazy to you, huh?"

"I mean, I guess, yeah," Max nodded her head. I spotted a sheet of rusted metal behind a car and pointed it out to her, walking toward it with her on my heel. "It just seems crazy."

I laughed a little. "It does, doesn't it?"

When we reached the metal, we both took a side and picked it up, carrying it together.

"So, it all really happened?"

I nodded to her. "If it didn't, it was one insane dream. It was... Surreal."

Max's blue eyes stared at me, almost like she was trying to figure out if she trusted me or not. I couldn't blame her for doubting it - I probably would, too.

When we got back to the bus, we dropped the metal onto the ground near Steve's bag. I shook my arms out before swinging my own bag off of my back and deciding to put both of them into the bus.

As I picked Steve's up, Max walked away and to the rest of the junkyard, so I walked up the steps to the bus alone.

It was the same as it had been last year; dusty and old. Remembering how scared and helpless we had been sent a shiver up my spine. I walked down the aisle, lightly tracing my fingers over the seats until I reached the back where we had crouched behind the seats. I gently set down our bags, pushing them against the wall and then digging through Steve's to get the gasoline container.