Nine

INITIATION
🌀
"You're entirely bonkers, but I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Alice let the servant dress her. She knew that castle servants were paid graciously, but she was still squeamish about the idea of them. Nobody should have to deal with the pettiness of Heart Royals.

To her surprise, Valentina was completely silent as her servant helped her get into her gown. Alice focused on fitting into the elaborate white dress she was given. It was encrusted with gold. Underneath, the fabric was patterned like the night sky, which the gown made a point to show off judging by the way it fit. The seamstresses had made a fuss about having to make so many alterations because of Alice's height.

Mali wore a violet alchemist's robes, with other eccentricities of course. "You look amazing!" Alice complimented. Her attention shifted to Anahita, who wore a more armor-like garment. "You too!" Alice added.

Anahita nodded in the direction behind Alice. Alice turned around, still smiling, to see Valentina in her gown.

She was stunning.

Her short pink hair was styled into two buns on the top of her head. And her gown... It was red and pink and black, each color spilling onto the other in a casual manner. It draped around her small form elegantly. Alice stared, and couldn't tell if she was already sweating from the long sleeves of her own outfit or if her face had gone pink.

"You alright?" Anahita teased. "It's just a dress, dude." Alice turned away, toward the wall. "Whatever, I'm not falling for your taunts, Safid."

"I'm not taunting you, just making an observation." Anahita smirked. She knew something that Alice didn't, and that infuriated her.

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Alice felt the pressure of the sun against her long white dress. It was always summertime in Wonderland. She stepped out onto a long stage that resembled a runway. Above her, four stands held the Queen of Hearts, Emperor of Diamonds, King of Clubs, and Archmage of Spades. Wonders all gathered around the stage, festive and cheering. This was the day the Knave Council would be announced.

Alice walked the length of the stage. She glanced behind her to see Valentina following (rather elegantly), and turned away. As soon as the other Knaves stood behind her, the Queen of Hearts began to speak into a microphone, one that echoed around the wide royal square.

"Citizens of Dinah City!" She greeted. "Today marks the first time in over fifty years that we have had a full Knave council! This year marks good fortune!" The crowds cheered and hollered, people of all different card signs uniting in their excitement.

"Our one and only Ace, the one meant to protect our kingdom, the very girl with power over light and wind... is Alice Liddell!" Alice scabbed the crowd, looking for the faces of Lorina and her mother. She couldn't see them.

"Next in line, the Princess of Hearts, second in line for the throne, my very daughter, Valentina Hart!" Power over Fire. Alice added mentally, trying to keep track. She had only known these people for a few weeks, except for Mali, of course.

"Following her is Mali Milliner, the Spade Knave, known for her abilities over magic."

"Finally, we have Julius Sanchez, the Diamond Knave, with water abilities."

"And, of course, let's not forget Anahita Safid, the Club Knave who has already mastered her nature abilities."

Cheers erupted louder and louder for each name. Finally, the citizens of Dinah City quieted. Alice heard an odd noise... screaming.

That's when the bullets went off.