Thirteen

ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR
🏹
"They're dreadfully fond of beheading people here: the great wonder is, that there's any one left alive!"

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Valentina was usually a deep sleeper. However, she found herself lying awake one night, not sure as to why. She sat up as she heard a door creak open, and tiptoed to her own door, peeking into the common room.

Alice was there, singing softly to herself as she stood by the window. Her voice was angelic, of course. It made sense, judging by the fact that her powers could be activated through her singing voice.

Small little butterflies floated around her as she sang, along with other mirages made of the moonlight she conjured. Valentina stood there, staring. Alice turned around, and Valentina slammed the door shut. She leaned against the door for a few minutes before sliding onto the ground.

I'm always thinking about Alice. Why is it always her? She wished her own feelings weren't so complicated. Do I like Alice? No, I don't, right?
She groaned softly in annoyance.

Alice and Valentina had grown closer, not quite friends but not enemies. This had given Valentina the chance to befriend Mali. She pulled out her phone and sent a text.

"Are you up?"

A few minutes later, Mali replied:

"I am now. What's up?"

"I'm just going to lay it out plainly for you. I think I like Alice. Like, LIKE like her."

"That makes sense. I wondered when you'd figure it out."

"Yeah, but it sucks because I'm supposed to marry Julius."

"Legally, she can't force you to marry him against your will."

"Actually, she can. My mom's very good at manipulation. She's the ruler of Dinah City."

"How about your focus on getting the girl before you focus on that drama. You have time until the wedding, after all."

"You're right."

"You do want to get the girl, right?"

"I think so." Valentina sighed, though Mali wouldn't be able to here. The messages stopped coming, meaning Mali must have fallen asleep again.

Valentina got up and lay down on her bed, on top of the covers. Tomorrow she would be calling her mother to talk about the wedding.

Valentina knew her time was running out. Her priority wasn't as Mali had put it, her priority was to get out of the abusive marriage that she would be forced into.

I'm the Heart Knave. Valentina thought. If I can breathe fire, I'm pretty sure I can find a way around marrying Julius.

For now, she just needed to plan.

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Valentina picked up the phone. "Mother," She greeted. They weren't a family full of soft words. Every conversation was business.

"Valentina, I've decided on a day for the wedding. Two months after the Greengale Ball. The festivities will be over, and we'll have plenty of time to prepare."

"Alright." Valentina said.

"No protestations?"

"No, I guess I've finally come to terms with my fate." Valentina was surprised with how easily the lie slipped out.