Twenty-Three

VICTIMS
⚔️
★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Alice's mind reeled. She had no idea what to do. She tried to tap into the part of her that always stayed calm under pressure.

Who needed her help the most?

The answer was Jude. Alice scrambled forward. The ponytail girl— the one who had broken Mali's arm— was Rose. She was armed only with shuriken. This would be easy.

Alice thrust her arms forward, creating ropes of that blinding white light. Maybe I can grab somebody else while I'm at it. The Queen of Hearts was the closest. She was older, less fit, and already at a disadvantage. Alice grabbed both of them and thrust them against the wall, capturing them.

Suddenly, one of Rose's shuriken striked Alice's hand. The starlit bonds fell. Iron. Alice cursed under her breath.

Then, a barrier of water reached out and replaced Alice's powers. Lori.

"Why?" Alice whispered. Lori was standing a few yards away, Mali in front of her, lying unconscious on the floor.

"Hurting you and Mali wasn't part of the deal." Lori said. "But I'm still not on your side."

Alice rushed over to Mali, checking for injuries. She must have hit her head against the floor. Alice lifted Mali into her arms. She surveyed their remaining enemies.

Lucy was targeting Anahita now, and Valentina was still pitted against Julius. Jude stood beside Alice, ready to fight the best she could. Alice couldn't use her powers, at least not for a while. The iron in her hand stung painfully.

I'm going to have to make some sacrifices. Alice realized. We're not all making it out of here together.

"If you can run, follow me!" Alice shouted. She knew Valentina and Anahita heard. Valentina raced toward the small group. Anahita was the only one left. Lucy was gripping her hands behind her back at a painful angle.

"Go! Get out of here!" Anahita called.

"No, we can't just—," Valentina protested, but Jude was already pulling her along as they ran.

They scrambled out of the palace, bleeding and bruised. Alice tried her best not to jostle the unconscious Mali.

What next?