Ten

A CRUEL JOKE
💔
"Would you like an adventure now or shall we have tea first?"

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

PLEASE NOTE
This chapter contains mention of gun violence and death. If you are easily scared or affected by these topics, please read at your own risk.

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Mali turned to look at Alice, whose face was clouded with confusion, much like the air around them was shrouded with fog from the... the bombs that had been going off?

"We have to get out of here!" Julius yelled in fear.

"No, you idiot!" Anahita snapped. "We have to do what we can to help." She leapt off the stage, most of the other's (including Mali) following her. Julius stayed behind.

Mali reached for Alice's hand, and they glanced at each other. They would protect each other first, the civilians second. Suddenly, Mali felt her arm yanked on as she tumbled to the concrete floor, landing on her right elbow. She screamed, and soon saw Alice's face in her view.

"Mali? What happened, where were you hurt?"

"I think I broke my arm. Somebody grabbed me."

Alice glanced around. She noticed a wisp of a red ponytail despite the smoke. Alice lashed out with her powers. Instead of hitting the person, she felt a gun against her head.

Mali pulled herself to her feet, face grimacing in pain. "Don't..." She spoke through breaths. "Touch my friend."

Anahita socked the person holding the gun in the face. She had come out of nowhere. Now Mali and Alice could see that it had been a brown-skinned girl with a red ponytail to attack them. The girl disappeared.

"The civilians are evacuated. Let's get Mali to a hospital and the other Knaves out of here."

Alice nodded. "Is there a body count yet?"

"No. But it's something above a hundred."

As Alice ran, she could see the bodies, pools of blood gathering around them. She swallowed bile in her throat, trying in vain to remember the face of the girl with the red ponytail who had attacked Mali.

She had done this.

★♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Alice was furious as she walked home from the hospital with Mali. All of the Knaves had turned out fine, and yet she was so angry. Mali was hurt and had a cast now!

And still, they had no idea who the attackers were.