C H A P T E R T H R E E

Freak Show

C H A P T E R   T H R E EFreak Show

______________________

Roni biked up the path towards the school. She wipes the fallen tears from her eyes. Her parents words shouldn't hurt her anymore but it does. It always does.

As she rode up to the school she saw students walking up and down the grass, chatting happily with each other. Teens clutching books to their chest, nervously prepping for the day's tests. Roni then sees her friends pulling their bikes into the rack and looking at the one on the end.

"Hey, guys," Roni greeted, parking her bike into the bike rack. She glances over in the direction they're looking at. An empty place that was usually filled with Will's bike. "Where's Byers?" She asked, adjusting her gray backpack.

"I don't know," Mike said, searching the many heads of the students of Hawkins Middle. Will Byers was not the sort of person to be late. He was the most punctual of the party, especially for school.

"He probably just went to class early again," Lucas said, reassuring them. Roni nodded along with him. Walking along side Dustin.

"Yeah, he's always paranoid Gursky's gonna give him another pop quiz," Dustin chimed in.

"True, well Will needs to show his face soon so I can give him his Walkman," Roni spoke searching her pockets. She pulled it out and showed it to Dustin, who just whispered 'cool'. The girl even painted some cool drawings on the outside, to give it some character.

She was one of the artistic ones in the group. Not only did she draw but she also knew how to play guitar, electric and acoustic and played a little bit of piano. Her mother wanted her to know how to play. But Will was the true talent in drawing. He drew all the time, especially when his parents were going through a divorce.

His dad didn't spend as much time with him because everyone thought that he was weird. That's why they got along so well, being weirdos together. The only difference is that his mother was accepting of how different he is, Roni didn't have that.

Then the biggest bullies and idiots of Hawkins Middle shows up, making party turn around. "Step right up, ladies and gentlemen," Troy said teasingly. Roni breathed in deeply to control her anger. "Step right up and get your tickets for the freak show." James, his dimwitted assistant smiled evilly at Troy's words.

"Who do think would make more money in a freak show?" He asked rhetorically to his friend. Troy steps up to the group. "Midnight?" He punches Lucas' shoulder.

"Frog-face?" He punches Mike's shoulder. "Toothless?" He hits his fist on Dustin's shoulder. "Or Blondie?" Troy doesn't punch her but backs away. But before James could say anything else, Roni laughs loudly.

"Blondie? Seriously?! That's the best you could come up with?" She chuckles deeply. Troy and James looked at each other in confusion. "I shouldn't expect much out of a dimwitted, held back from the 3rd grade, wannabe bully. Who can't even come up with a good insult." Roni raised her eyebrow, waiting for his reply.

The boys grin. Troy sputtered for a moment before raising his fist towards her. She doesn't flinch. But James holds his arm back, saying, "We can't hit girls. Come on, let's just go." Troy glares at her and she glares back. She stands in front of the boys, staring him down.

He pulls his arm away roughly and stomps away with James in tow. Mike turns to Roni, "Thanks. Those guys are such mouth breathers," He said.

"Totally," She nudges him with her shoulder and gives him a small smile. He smiles back.