C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R

The Plan

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - F O U RThe Plan

_______________________________

As they drove, it grew darker and darker outside. They ended up at the Byers house and they file out of the car. Nancy runs to Mike and pulls him into a warm hug. He doesn't hug back, shocked that his sister was here or even hugging him.

Roni stood on her toes and peeked around them, internally hoping to see her brother. But frowned at not seeing him. Of course he wasn't here. Roni thought. He probably didn't even notice that she was gone.

When they enter the house, Mike shows them the illustration Mr. Clarke showed them as an example for the gate. "Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that's the monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding." He explains.

"Mr. Clarke said that the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space," Mike continues.

"A gate," Dustin chims in.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab," Lucas adds.

"With our compasses," Dustin says. Mrs. Byers, Nancy, and Jonathan looked at him in confusion. "Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the direction of a compass needle."

Roni nods. "You follow the compasses, you find the gate. That part I know," She twirls her hair around her finger.

A minute of silence, Hopper looks up. "Is this gate underground?" He asks

"Yes," Eleven answers. They look at each other.

"Near a large water tank?" Hopper questions. Eleven nods.

"H-how did you know all that?" Dustin stutters.

"He's seen it," Mike answers for him.

"Is there any way that you could... that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this--" Mrs. Byers shaky voice asked.

"The Upside Down," Eleven finishes and nods in answer.

"And my friend Barbara. Can you find her, too?" Nancy asks. Eleven nods. They head to the kitchen table and try to use a Walkie-Talkie to get El to find them, but she struggles.

The light flickers above them and the static fades. Eleven looks at them with sad eyes. "I'm sorry," She spoke. Her brown eyes begin to water.

"What's wrong? What happened?" Mrs. Byers asked, stuttering slightly. She clutches Jonathan's hand from her shoulder.

"I can't find them," El's voice breaks. Roni lays a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It's okay. Go wash up a little bit, okay?" Roni smiles softly. El nods, tears fall from her brown eyes. Eleven walks into the bathroom and shuts the door behind her. The rest of the group talk about what to do next.

"Whenever she uses her powers, she gets weak," Mike explains.

"The more energy she uses, the more tired she gets," Dustin continues.

"Like, she flipped the van earlier," Lucas said.

"It was awesome," Dustin adds with an excited smile.

"El needs rest before she can really use her powers again," Roni crosses her arms over her chest.

Eleven comes out of the bathroom and whispers. "The bath. I can find them. In the bath," Roni furrows her eyebrows. Once she explained what it is, they didn't know how to make one. And who do they call when they have a science problem?

"Mr. Clarke? It's Dustin."

Roni couldn't hear the rest of the conversation but she knew that once Dustin gets Mr. Clarke going it's hard to make him stop. Dustin writes down everything that they need to make one. He hangs up on Mr. Clarke and points the pencil towards Mrs. Byers.

"Do you still have that kiddie pool we bobbed for apples in?"

"Uh, I think so. Yeah," Mrs. Byers answers, glancing at Jonathan.

"Good. Then we just need salt. Lots of it," He nods.

"How much is 'lots'?" Hopper asks.

Dustin glances down at his notes and looks back up at Hopper. "1,500 pounds." Roni throws her hands up and whispers, 'oh, my God'.

"Well, where are we gonna get that much salt?" Nancy wonders out loud.

Hopper looks off in the distant.