C H A P T E R S I X

C H A P T E R S I X
The Girl

C H A P T E R   S I XThe Girl

________________________

They all crowd around the young girl as she breathes heavily. The party was now in Mike's basement, trying to figure out where this head-shaven girl came from. Roni watched her, not in an accusing way but carefully.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asked.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin wondered, leaning a little closer to her.

"Did you run away?" Lucas questioned. Roni rolled her eyes. If she was a runaway why would she tell a bunch of strangers.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"Is that blood?" Lucas asked reaching a hand out towards her shirt. Mike smacked his hand.

"Stop it! You're freaking her out!" Mike shouted. Roni looked at the girl and saw her flinching at the loud noises.

"Stop yelling. You're making her scared. She won't tell us anything if she's scared," Roni spoke calmly. The calmest they've ever heard her. Roni turned to the girl and smiled warmly.

"Hey, are you hurt, or you need something to eat?" The girl just stares up at her with wide eyes. Roni opened her mouth to speak again and notices her shivering slightly. Something clicked in her mind. She whips towards the boys and claps her hands loudly to get their attention. They whip their heads towards her, flinching slightly.

"Hey! Alright! She's not much of a talker, so she won't speak right now unless she's comfortable. Mike," He straightens up. "Go get her some warm clothes." He nods. "Lucas, stop glaring at her, just go sit in the corner or somethin'." Lucas sighs deeply and walks away.

"Dustin, stop freaking her out. Now shoo," Roni pushes him away from the girl. Mike hands the girl the dry clothes. She dabs it on her face a bit, feeling the warm clothes.

She stands and begins to pull the large shirt from the bottom. The boys immediately turn around, yelling loudly for her to stop. Roni hurries up to her and holds down the shirt.

"No, no," Roni spoke. The girl glances around nervously. "It's okay, there's a bathroom over there to get dressed." Roni walks her to the bathroom and as she's closing the door, the girl grabs it suddenly. "Do want it closed?" Roni asked.

"No," She whispers. Roni nods, trying not to make notice that it was the first time she's spoken.

"Okay, I'll just close it halfway. See?" Roni closes the door enough so that she can still see her. The girl nods and turns around to get dressed.

Roni turns to the boys who are still freaking out. "Oh, my God. Oh, my God," Dustin says rapidly. Roni rolls her eyes. "This is mental." Dustin says.