C H A P T E R T W E L V E

C H A P T E R   T W E L V E
Will

C H A P T E R   T W E L V EWill

______________________

Hours of walking later and Roni struggled to keep up. Every time she lifted her feet it like someone tied anchors on her ankles. "Are we there yet? I can't keep going," She groans, looking up at the clear night sky. They had turned on their bike lights to light their path to Will.

"Come on, Roni. We need to find Will. This is what Operation Mirkwood was all about," Lucas urged. Roni rolls her eyes, but closing her eyes almost maybe her fall asleep.

"I know, I know, but I can't help but be a little lazy. It's in my nature," Roni leans back as she walks but almost falls, suddenly remembering that she has an ax on her back.

They continue walking in the almost complete darkness. A sudden familiarity washes over Roni. As they walk forward, she notices the house she's come into many times before. It was Will's house.

Eleven stops and faces to the group, "Here."

"Yeah, this is where Will lives," Mike states.

"Hiding," She whispers.

"No, no, this is where he lives," Mike repeats. Roni drops her bike frustratingly, she runs a hand through her long blonde hair. "He's missing from here. Understand?"

"If we walked all the way out here for nothing--" Dustin starts. Roni nods along with him.

"That's exactly what we did!" Lucas yells in frustration. "I told you she didn't know what she was talking about!" He drops his bike as well.

Mike turns back from Lucas to Eleven. "Why did you bring us here?" He asked her, but she stammers.

"Mike don't waste your time with her," Lucas tells him. They begin arguing about what to do next, Lucas wants to call the cops but Mike doesn't. This whole argument falls into the background as Roni looks at Eleven's face. Frighten, overwhelmed. The yelling has gotten her so confused.

As Roni was about to yell at them to stop yelling, Dustin looks into the distance, noticing flashing lights. "Hey, guys?" He tries to capture their attention. Roni turns around and stares at the red and blue lights.

"Idiots!" Roni yells, making them stop arguing. Sirens sound in the distance. A police cruiser and ambulance fly down the street at a fast speed. They all gape at the sight. One thought flash through their minds.

Will.

They hurry to grab their bikes and began following the cars closely. Seeing the police and ambulance gave Roni a sudden burst of energy.

The Party cower behind a bright red ambulance and watch the whole scene unfold. A group of police officers stand inside the lake and turn over something. "Is that Will?" Roni whispers. They pull it from the water and lay it on the raft. She could barely see but an outline of a person, a small person was clearly seen.

"It's not Will. It can't be," Mike shakes his head, unable to believe what he sees. The raft gets closer and closer until they see him, lying in the raft, not moving.

"It's Will. It's really Will," Lucas speaks blankly. Roni's stomach drops at the sight and turns away quickly. She covers her mouth with her hand. Her body shakes.

"Mike," El starts, she puts a hand on his shoulder. Mike slaps it hard away.

"Mike? Mike, what? You were supposed to help us find him alive. You said he was alive!" He screams at her. Roni stands up and looks at Mike with an unshed tear in her eye.

"Come on, Mike. It wasn't her fault. Don't yell at her," Roni speaks devoid of any emotion. But Mike continues on in his tirade.

"Why did you lie to us?! What's wrong with you?!" He waits for her answer but Eleven is overwhelmed with everything that she couldn't speak. Mike stomps away angrily towards his bike.

"Mike, come on. Don't do this, man," Lucas calls out to him, tears in his eye. Dustin and Lucas continue to call out to him but Roni stares at the ground numbly. Mike bikes away, ignoring his friends.

"Just leave him alone, guys. He needs some time," Roni looks up at them, swallowing hard. She looks at the guys and pulls them into a much needed hug. They grip onto each other tightly. Only one tear fell from Roni's eye and she refused to let the others fall.

They all cried together, it didn't even feel like together without Will. Roni didn't know how long they hugged for or what happened after that but later she drops Eleven at Mike's basement.

"Crawl through the basement window, it'll be fine," Roni couldn't look at Eleven. Not out of disgust or anger but because she didn't want anyone to see her like this. El puts a hesitant hand on her shoulder and nods to Roni and she nods back. Once she saw Eleven get in, she pedaled as fast as she possibly could to her house.

Dropping her bike on the front lawn, Roni runs into the house. "Mother Father?!" She calls desperately. "Steve?" Her voice cracks. No one was home. She was alone.

Roni dropped her backpack and took off her jacket and dropped that too. She tried crawling up the stairs but overcome with grief, she fell and laid on the middle of the stairway. Tears flooded her eyes, her whole body shook as she wept again.

Her heart filled with sadness for one of her best friends. The one that was like a brother to her, she helped take care of him when he was sick with chickenpox. And whenever any bullies bothered him, Roni took care of them.

Will helped her with homework and studied with tests with her, he was always there. And now he was gone. No more seeing his excited smile when he played games with the rest of them in Mike's basement. Or listening to all the songs that his brother showed him.

All of that, gone. And there was nothing Roni or anyone else could do about it.

Not long after, Steve came through the door. Sighing after a day of hanging out with his friends, he froze seeing his sister curled up in a ball on the steps. He was about to shake her awake but he notices her tear stained face and her furrowed brows.

He puts his hands on his hips, looking at her. Steve then puts her arm over his shoulder and puts an arm under her legs, carrying her bridal style. She moved closer to his chest, whimpering. He carried her up the stairs and kicked open the door.

Steve laid her down on the bed and Roni turned over, back facing Steve. He put the blankets over her small frame and looked at her for a moment. Steve scratched his head and wondered why Roni was crying.

He's never seen Roni crying in years, so he wondered what could've made her cry so hard that she couldn't even make it up the stairs. Soon loud snores came from Roni's mouth. He shook his head and turned off the light.

Leaving Roni to a dreamless sleep.