C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

Radio

C H A P T E R   S I X T E E NRadio

__________________________

They head into the AV Club room and Eleven sits down and lays her palms flat on the surface.  "Now what?" Dustin asks, panting slightly.

"She'll find him. Right, El?" Mike answers. Eleven breathes in deeply, preparing to use her powers. Mike turns on the radio to the right frequencies. When it was tuned, he steps back.

She closes her eyes and they wait. "She's doing it. She's finding him," Mike stares in wonder.

"This is crazy," Dustin exclaims. Lucas shakes his head at them both.

"Calm down. She just closed her eyes," As Lucas spoke, a light bulb above them breaks, making them gasp in fear, now the only light was coming from the radio itself. But when it did break, Roni scoots closer to Dustin. When they realized how close they were to each other they stepped away simultaneously.

A loud clang coming from the radio silences them all. They move closer to the radio, hearing every clang that comes from it. The sound comes closer and closer as if they were steps from a large monster. The party fearfully listens in.

"What is that?" Dustin asks. Roni furrows her eyebrows.

"It sounds like...steps a giant would make," Roni answers. They wait for something to change or a voice to call out.

Soon words that the party had been hoping to hear comes through the radio. "Mom?" Will calls. Roni inhales and her baby blue eyes widen.

"No way!" Lucas marveled. Roni couldn't help but smile at hearing her friends voice. "Will!" He yells. They begin to shout his, to talk to him.

"Can you hear us?! We're here!" Dustin shouts.

"Will, talk to us!" Roni screams.

"Hello? Mom?!" Will continues to call for his mom.

"He can't hear us. Was there no way to talk to Will?" Lucas asks. But no one had an answer.

"It's like home, but it's so dark... it's so dark and empty. And it's cold!" Will yells desperately.

Roni covers her mouth to stop the sob coming out. He sounded so scared. "Mom? Mom!" Will calls out again. Roni and Lucas share a look of worry.

Then the radio starts to spark, blowing a fuse, it ignites a small flame. Roni pulls El away from the radio that was on fire. Eleven holds Roni's arm that was around her chest, clinging to it. Roni rubs her head. "It's okay. You did great, El. Thank you so much," Roni said encouragingly. Eleven breathes heavily.

Dustin makes the quick decision to take a fire extinguisher and spray the white substance all on the now practically destroy machine. The fire alarms sound throughout the school. Mike then turns her towards him and bends down her her height. "El, are you okay?" She doesn't speak but looks tiredly at Mike. "Can you move?" It was obvious that she couldn't.

Lucas and Mike help her out of the chair while Dustin held her feet. Roni ran with them, opening doors and making sure that hall they were going through were empty. But she found a cart to wheel her on. They lay her on top of it and push her to an exit.

They completed the first part of the plan; Is Will alive. Now they have another part to complete, bringing him back.