C H A P T E R N I N E

True Friends

C H A P T E R   N I N E True Friends

_______________________

After the surprising revelation, the party split up to their respective homes for the night to think over this news about Will and the Demogorgon. While some came home to their families wondering how their day went or possibly a goodnight with a forehead kiss. Roni came home to a teen party around the pool.

Unfortunately, for Roni's sake the two people she detests attended the party. Tommy H. and Carol, her brothers best friends. Roni didn't always hate them, at first she thought that they were super cool. They used to stay up all night, go to cool parties, drive all around town, even at the places they weren't allowed to. To Roni, it was the life she dreamed of.

But as they got older and so did she, she realized that the life they were living, was no longer something she imagined. She wanted to go out to parties and stay out all night, but doing that almost every weekend for years would get boring. But not to them.

And now they all are juniors in high school, preparing for college. Roni thought that they would mature and focus on things that are important in life other than partying. But they never did. She doesn't even know what college Steve wants to go to. Or what job he wants.

Roni never hated Tommy H. and Carol because they were reckless and sometimes stupid, no. She hated them because they brought down her brother along with them. Possibly ruining his life.

Who else did she see at the party? Hawkins own, Nancy Wheeler. She lied about Will's assembly to be at her brother's dumb party. Roni shakes her head in disgust and runs up the stairs.

The next morning Roni tied up her all black Doc Marten boots and stood up. She fiddled with her black overalls and reached into the pocket, pulling out a few pennies and a lighter. "Where did I get this from?" She asked herself, shrugged and threw it into her backpack.

Roni grabs her backpack and runs down the stairs. She takes a granola bar and hops onto the counter, munching on the bar. Steve walks into the kitchen with a loose fitting shirt and messy hair. He mumbled a good morning, but Roni ignores him.

Steve raises an eyebrow at her and stands in front of her. "Hey! Good morning!" He yells in her face. Roni stares him down and takes a bite out of her granola.

"Morning," She replies snarkily.

He backs away, furrowing his eyebrows. "Geez, what's got your panties in a twist?" He asked rhetorically and reaches for the cereal on the top shelf.

Roni chews her food slowly, and watches his sluggish movements. As he brought down the bowl, it clatters on the counter-top making a slightly loud noise. But Steve clutches his head in pain. He's hungover.

"Oh, nothing, I'm just thinking about how you're still hanging out with idiot one and idiot two."

"Hey, don't talk about them like that. They've been my friend since forever, besides, didn't you used to like them?" He pours the Cheerios into the light blue bowel.

"Key words there is, 'Used to'. I grew up, unlike some people," She whispers the last part to herself. But Steve's weirdly good hearing heard what she said. He slams the box on the counter and stares at her with a hard expression.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I grew out of my phase, you still haven't," She answers, taking the last bite from the granola.

Steve furrows his eyebrows. "They've been my friends for a long time, we do everything together."

"You're hanging out with a bunch of losers who are bringing you down!" Roni shouts, hoping off the counter. Steve scoffs.

"They're not losers. They're my best friends and don't you call them that."

Roni rolls her eyes. "Think about this, Steven. Your friends are holding you back from being who you're really supposed to be. All they see is King Steve, the guy who dates who he wants and beat up anyone who disagrees. But do they really know you?" She asks. She steps closer to him.

"You're not supposed to be fake with your friends. If fake friends see you change slightest bit in the way they don't like, they freak," Roni lowers her voice. "My friends know what I'm really like, if I change for the worst, they fix it. But if I change for the better, they encourage me. Does yours?"

Steve stares into her blue eyes with a confused expression. "What are you talking about?" Roni sighs and throws away her wrapper.

"Whatever, do what you want," Roni grabs her backpack and walks out the door, grabbing her dark blue jacket on the way out. He watches the door for a moment and thinks about what she said.

He thinks of the possibility that maybe she's right. Steve quickly shakes the thoughts away, "No, she's just a kid. What does she know about friends or life."