C H A P T E R F I V E

C H A P T E R   F I V E
The Girl

C H A P T E R   F I V EThe Girl

___________________

The principal dismisses them to their classes and they walk sullenly to them. All throughout the classes Roni paid more attention to the window, looking at the empty bike rack slot that Will's bike was supposed to be. Though, Will was a quiet, shy presence in the group, he was a very much needed part. Roni thought of him like a little brother. She felt much guilt for not riding with him home that night.

After school, Roni rode back home and stomped up the stairs. She flopped on the bed and stared at the ceiling, thinking of a way to get Will back, somehow. She then gets and idea and reaches over the grab her guitar. It was an all black 1965 Fender Stratocaster, a 'Shut up' gift from her parents, to satisfy their child's need for attention. Roni named the beloved guitar, Lucy, a simple name for a simple guitar.

She strummed absentmindedly, then a song came to mind that made her want to jump around and play wildly. Roni plugged in the electric guitar into the amplifier and slid the pick up and down the guitar. She shook her hair wildly and closed her eyes, feeling the music enter her mind completely.

Roni jumped from her bed onto the floor and went on her knees, shaking her blonde hair back and forth. Steve barged once again that day into her room. "Roni! Would you shut up, I'm trying to talk to Nancy!" He yelled. Roni pushed her hair back from her face and raised an eyebrow at him.

"What do you guys even talk about?" She stood up intertwined her hands together. "'Oh, Nancy, look at how nice my hair is. Make out with my hair, please! It's okay if you cough up a Farrah Faccett covered hairball. It doesn't cause cancer.'" She mimicked her brother's voice over-dramatically.

Steve paled, standing in the middle of her doorway, gaping at her. "H-how do you- I told you to stay out of my room!" He shouted, pointing a finger at her. Roni folded her arms, switching legs to lean on. "You know what, I'm in charge, so this," He pulled the cord from her amplifier out. "is gone." He stomps away and slams the door.

"Jerk," She whispers and strums one last time, ending her mental song. Roni pads over to her dark brown desk and begrudgingly begins her homework. A few hours later she hears her name being called.

"Roni. Roni. Rooooni!" Dustin's voice called out through the radio. She picks it up, and extends the antenna.

"What do you want, Henderson?" She leans back in her chair.

"We're gonna find Will. Get ready."

Roni smirks, "I'm already there," She pulls back down the antenna, bounds up, grabbing the gray backpack. Roni opens her door and tiptoes past her brother door and runs to the garage to get her bike. But before she leaves she grabs a raincoat.

She cuts on the light that was on her white bike and picks up speed to the meeting place. They arrive at the street in minutes.

"Ah, man. This is it," Lucas said, breathy. Roni stared at red and white line. They were breaking all kinds of rules, right now. All for their friend.

The thunder rumbles, letting everyone know that rain was soon to follow. "Hey, guys. You feel that?" Dustin holds his hand out, feeling for rain. Roni pulls her hair up into a ponytail with a black scrunchie.

"It's gonna rain, that's was Sheryl the weather lady said," Roni explained, dropping her hands.

"I think maybe we should go back," Dustin said, a hesitant look on his face. Roni rolls her eyes and grabs her flashlight from her backpack.

"No. We're not going back. Just stay close," Mike spoke firmly. Determination filled his brown eyes.

"Don't worry. I'll protect you from the big, bad rain, Dusty-bun," Roni said teasingly. Dustin sighed.

"Shut it, Roni-poo. I'm not afraid of rain. I just don't like going into forests, at night!" He raised his voice slightly. Roni frowned.

Mike looked at the woods and continue forward. "Just stay on channel six. Don't do anything stupid," He orders. Roni pushed Dustin forward.

"Come on, it'll be fine. I got your back," Roni pulls up her hood and gives him a small smile. He nods and takes in a breath. The party searches in the pouring rain for their friend. They yelled for his name as the thunder and rain becomes louder and heavier.

"Will!" Mike shouts, eyes squinting.

"Will! Come and get your Walkman!" Roni yelled, her throat burns a little. But she ignores it, her throat will heal eventually but Will is lost now.

"I got your X-Men 134!" Dustin screamed as well. "Guys, I really think we should turn back." He warns.

Roni sighs loudly. "Stop being a baby, we'll stop when we find Will," Dustin shakes his head. They tread further into the wooded area, the flashlight barely providing enough light. Roni looks down at her boots that were muddy up, she shrugs and continues walking.

"Did you ever think Will went missing because he ran into something bad? And we're going to the exact same spot where he was last seen?" Dustin wondered. Roni began to think about that but the thought of Will missing clouded her judgement.

"Dustin, shut up," Mike said. Roni furrowed her eyebrows at Mike's sudden seriousness. Then she heard it. Rustling of leaves were the only sounds besides the pouring rain. Her heart beat louder in her chest. She puts a hand out over Mike's chest, preventing him from walking on. "Did you hear that?"

The rustling was suddenly behind them and they whip back. Then screeching of some sort of animal sounded about the woods. Roni grabbed a stick she saw on the ground and held it up. Then another rustling but instead of a monster or a squirrel. It was a person.

The person which Roni assumed was a girl based on her femine features, wore a yellow t-shirt that had writing on it. She couldn't tell what it said because it was wet. The girl breathed heavily as she stared at them and they stared back, just as shocked. They all had their flashlight pointed at her.

Instead of finding Will. They found someone new. Maybe they would lead them to Will.