C H A P T E R T E N

C H A P T E R   T E N
Operation Mirkwood

C H A P T E R   T E NOperation Mirkwood

_________________________

Roni bikes to Mike's house before school. She runs down the steps of the basement. "Hi, El," She waves quickly to the girl on the couch, messing with the radio. Eleven looks up and nods to her. The boys stood around the table, preparing the days adventure.

"Took you long enough, Roni," Mike spoke sassily. Roni gives him a look. He looks between Lucas and Dustin. "Now that everyone's here. Here's the plan. We just tell our parents we have AV Club after school." He explains. They nod, but Roni ignores that part. She doesn't need to tell her brother anything she does, he doesn't tell her.

"That'll give us at least a few hours for Operation Mirkwood," Mike finishes. Roni grins slightly at the name of the mission. It made it feel like it was an action movie.

Lucas' eyes fall onto Eleven. "You seriously think that the weirdo knows where Will is?" He asked them.

"Just trust me on this, okay?" Mike said firmly. When Mike believes in something it's hard to stop him and sometimes it makes you want to believe too. "Did you get the supplies?" Lucas nods.

"Yeah, binoculars...from 'Nam. Army knife, also from 'Nam. Hammer, camouflage bandanna, and the wrist rocket," He pulls out each item, but pulls out the wrist rocket slowly and proudly.

"You're gonna take out the Demogorgon with a slingshot?" Dustin asked incredulously. Roni picked up the binoculars and pressed them to her face, looking around the room.

"First of all, it's a wrist rocket. And second of all, the Demogorgon's not real. It's made up," Lucas uses gestures to emphasize his point. "But if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye... and blind it." He takes the wrist rocket and pretends to shoot it, making a loud snap sound. It made everyone but Roni flinch.

Lucas snatches the binoculars from her hands and stuff it into his bag. Roni glares at him and leans on the other foot.

Mike sighs and looks at Dustin. "Dustin, what did you get?" He then takes his backpack and pours out all of its contents. It was nothing but snakes and foods. Roni's eyes light up. She reaches for the Pez but Mike smacks her hand away. She cradles her hand, glaring at Mike.

"So, we've got Nutty Bars, Bazooka, Pez, Smarties, Pringles, Nilla Wafers, apple, banana, and trail mix," He lists them. But while he does Mike and Lucas give each other looks.

Roni stares at the large assortment of treats. "I call dibs on the Bazooka," She takes a piece of the pink bubble gum. It was one of her favorite candies, besides one other candy.

"Seriously?" Lucas shakes his head at him.

"We need energy for our travels. For stamina," Dustin explains. Roni nods with him and pops the gum.

"I agree, walking burns calories, to get calories we need food. If we starve in the wilderness, it's you guys' fault," Dustin gestures to her and nods.

"Besides, why do we even need weapons anyway? We have her," He points to El. Roni continues chewing bubble gum flavored gum.

"She shut one door!" Lucas yells, making Eleven look up.

"With her mind!" Dustin shouts back. "Are you kidding me? That's insane! Imagine all the other cool stuff she could do. Like..." He walks towards her and grabs the plastic Millennium Falcon.

"I bet that she could make this thing fly!" Dustin says excitedly. He urges her to make the toy fly but every time her lets go of it, assuming she's using her powers it drops. Roni sighs at him, that's not how you get El to do anything. Eleven just simply stares at him.

"Idiot," Lucas and Roni chorus, shaking their heads at Dustin.

Mike stands at the table and looks at Roni, "What did you bring?"

"Well, let's see," She reaches into her backpack for the items. "I got seven pennies, a couple of guitar picks, a lighter, and this," She places each item on the table but lifts up the large weapon. "An ax." Their eyes widen.

"You got an ax?!" Dustin shouted. Roni shushed him quickly.

"Shut up, if Mike's mom sees me with this she'll freak."

"Where'd you get that?" Mike asked.

"Out of Mr. Krasinki's yard," She grips the large weapon in her hands. "Listen, if the bad men or a Demogorgon comes, a dumb ol' wrist rocket isn't gonna so jack-squat to them, but an ax," Roni holds it up with one hand, showing it off. "Will definitely scare them away." She then collapses to its weight.

Dustin helps her left the ax up. "Especially if it's you holding it, clumsy," Dustin jokes. Roni glares at him. She puts the ax into her backpack, it was surprisingly large enough to hold it.

"Mike!" Mrs. Wheeler yells from upstairs. "Time for school!" They all hurry to gather their supplies and stuffing it into their bags. Roni flips her lighter open to check if it's still works. A small flame comes out and she flips it back down. They all book it up the stairs and out the door.

After waiting a minute for Mike to come out they head to school, mentally preparing for the days later excursion.