Chapter Seven

"Are we going shopping now?" Ellen wanted to know.

"No, we're going for brunch." Marcy drove towards their usual restaurant.

"I love brunch!"

"I know."

"Have I told you?"

"No."

"Then how do you know?"

Mal cleared his throat.

Marcy ignored him. "All girls love brunch."

"All girls love brunch?" Ellen lifted a brow.

"Think of every girl you know. I bet they all love brunch."

Ellen thought about it then her eyes widened. "You're right!"

"See?"

"You're so smart. How did you figure it out?"

"It wasn't hard. Just pay attention to who goes to brunch. There's very few men. And the women are extremely happy to be there."

"Wow."

"When we go in, look at everyone. You'll see it."

Ellen nodded.

Marcy got to the restaurant and parked. They all got out and went inside the pink building. They spotted a large booth and made their way to it.

They were just settling in when Mike and his family walked in. They made their way to a booth by the prior ten. Everyone greeted each other.

Artie and his family was next, closely followed by Karou and her spouses. Then Marcus and Rose and Michael, Jeanette and Maddie showed up.

Everyone spoke and Ellen was introduced to Marcus and Arnold. She was pleasantly surprised by the warm greetings from Michael and Maddie, who she could have sworn hated her.

Talk turned to work for the men as the women spoke of the children and the kids talked about their friends.

They ordered and when their food came, they ate and talked more. It was a pleasant time had by all.

Marcy spoke up suddenly. "Daddy!"

Marcus looked at her in surprise.

"I love you."

His eyes widened. "What'd you do?"

"Daddy, that's hurtful."

He narrowed his eyes. "Sweetpea, I can't help you if you don't tell me the truth."

"Daddy." She set aside her fork. "I love you."

"Is this pregnancy hormones?"

She burst into tears. "You don't love me back!"

"Of course I do, dear. It's just a little strange to hear that declaration from you unprompted."

"You're all always saying I should open up more and when I do, I'm ridiculed."

"Mommy, are you alright?" Mally looked worried.

"Mommy will be fine." Rose told him. "The baby is just making her emotional."

"I want to be open!" Marcy wailed.

"You can be open." Mercedes soothed her. "Go on. Be open."

It was quiet for a moment. "I don't know how!" She sobbed.

"Just volunteer information."

Mal made a noise low in his throat.

"I don't believe in dinosaurs." Marcy spoke up.