Chapter Seventeen

Mal opened the door for his wife and new son. A large grouping of people shouted surprise at her.

"Why would you do that?" She began crying.

"Oh honey." Judy went to hug her.

Laura waddled over to hug her, too. "It's okay, Marcy. We forgot you hate surprises."

"How?" Marcy sobbed. "I say it all the time."

"Mommy, don't cry!" The twins ran to hug her.

"Would you like to meet your new brother?"

"Brother?!" Mally was super excited.

"Yup. You've got another brother."

"Yes!" He began dancing.

Everyone laughed.

M&MC

Mike cornered Marcy as she was coming back from the bathroom. "I did it."

"You cheated."

He gasped.

"You cheated! Stop it!"

He frowned with a pout. "You don't know!"

"Mon is a terrible liar when he's not paying attention." She hobbled to the kitchen.

He followed her. "Fine. The extension didn't work out as planned. But-"

"But nothing. I gave you to the reunion then gave you an extension and you couldn't even cheat right. Admit it. We're not close." She poured a glass of tea.

"I can't accept that."

"Why not? It's not like we're the family that only gets together for weddings or funerals. We see each other twice a year guaranteed."

"Twice a year? I live downstairs!"

"You have five and a half kids, a dog, two cats, a bird, a whole ass career and school on top of the fact that you have two wives, who are straight up demanding."

He was tired hearing that. "I don't care."

"I don't think the universe cares if you do." She left.

He leaned against the island, trying to think up ways to tell the universe to eat it.

M&MC

Marcy cleaned up Tristan and put him in a new diaper. "There you go. No more 'tinky."

He flailed his limbs.

Secret woofed.

Marcy yawned. "Want to watch him for me, boy?"

Secret climbed up on the bed and curled up at the end.

Marcy put Tristan in the middle and laid on her side. She rarely moved in her sleep so she wasn't worried about rolling over onto him.

Ten minutes later, Mal came in and put a velvet box on the pillow next to her head. He kissed her soft cheek gently before checking on his son and leaving.

M&MC

Maddie opened the door to her sister's room quietly and climbed in on Mal's side. She curled up and messed with Tristan, who woke up from her tickling him.

Marcy's eyes popped open and she tried to focus on why she was awake.

Maddie kept her scream inside and waited for Marcy to fully wake up.

Marcy stretched and sat up to pick up her baby. She began rocking him gently.

"I think that's your push present." Maddie set her jaw on her fist.