Chapter One

Lucas and Braxton stood, waiting for Zeek to hurry up and get outside. Usually, Zeek is outside by now but he overslept. So, after Lucas picked up Braxton on the walk they had to wait for Zeek. 

"I swear if Zeek makes us late I will cut him," Braxton said as he fixed his hat.

"Zeek better hurry up or he'll walk alone," Lucas reassured Braxton as Zeek opened his front door and rushed down the steps to his friends. Zeek threw his backpack over his shoulder as he walked up to Lucas and Braxton. "Took you long enough Zeek." 

"Yea I know Lucas," Zeek said. Together the three started to walk to school. "I bet Maddox is worried."

"Maddox worries a lot. But if we're lucky he is chatting Adrian's ear off about wolves or some shit," Brax said, "Or maybe he'll be annoying Levi."

"Or both," Zeek jokingly replied. 

"You two are really picking on him without him even being here? Wow," Lucas remarked, earning light laughs from the other two. 

"Brax, any chance you got a granola bar or something? I didn't grab breakfast before walking out this morning," Zeek asked. Before he even finished his sentence Braxton had fished a granola bag out of his backpack and tossed it to him. "Thanks." 

"No problem Zeek." After that the three fell into a comfortable silence as they walked to school and Zeek ate his "breakfast". Lucas walked into the school building first, quickly Maddox, Levi, and Salem rushed over. Adrian slowly made his way over, not moving nearly as fast as the others with his crutches. They all started to talk at once. 

"Thank fucking hell. Lucas, please tell Maddox to shut up. He has not stopped talking all morning," Salem complained, Lucas rolled his eyes and ignored the offended noise that Maddox made and Levi's complaining about how Maddox talks so much.

"What took you two so long?" Adrian asked, it quickly shut up the others. Adrian has that type of voice that makes a room go silent and listen to him. Lucas has always found Adrian's voice to be soothing. 

"Someone didn't wake up on time," Braxton said, jokingly glaring at Zeek. 

"I was awake late baking, sorry," Zeek said.

"What did you bring for today?" Levi asked curiously.

Zeek shrugged, "You'd love to know wouldn't you Levi."

"I'd love to know if I have to prevent Maddox from eating it." Again, Maddox made an offended noise. They all knew he didn't really mean it though. Their group always jokingly picked on Maddox, since he was the youngest of their group.

"Guys, leave Maddox be. He had a rough night last night," Adrian said softly. 

"What happened Maddox?" Lucas asked, not surprised that Adrian would know that about Maddox but still worried about his much younger friend. Maddox shrugged and brushed his burgundy hair back some off his forehead. 

"It's nothing guys. My dad just had friends over last night," Maddox said quietly. 

"The first time he has been there in weeks and it's to throw basically a fucking party. Your dad fucking sucks Maddox," Zeek said.

Maddox shrugged, "Don't worry about it guys. It's just how things are." Lucas knew the tone of voice that showed in Maddox's voice. Maddox was hiding something. Adrian wrapped an arm around Maddox's shoulder. 

"We're always here for you Madi," Adrian said gently, a smile tugging on his lips. Maddox groaned.

"You know I hate that nickname!" Maddox exclaimed. They would all jokingly call Maddox Madi since it was a girl's name. 

The seven of them stood there and talked for a while, happy to have each other's company. Meanwhile on the other side of school Mike and Gabe have just arrived at school, greeted in a similar way to how Lucas, Braxton, and Zeek were. 

As Gabe and Mike walked in Austin, Ryan, Shawn, and Jaxson rushed over to meet them. Gabe couldn't help the smile that spread across his face as he saw his friends. "Hey guys."

"Hey Gabe, Hey Mike. Where is Liana?" Jaxson asked, usually she was around for a few moments before going off to her art class. 

"Why are you so concerned about my little sister?" Mike asked, "She's getting to visit an art school today instead of dealing with classes. Lucky her." He looked around for a moment before some sort of emotion passed over his face quickly. "I see Luc is choosing to hang out with those devils again."

"Why does it matter if he does?" Shawn shot out, "He's allowed to have friends beyond us. If he chooses to hang out with other people good for him."

"Other people and those devils are different things Shawn," Mike said as Austin looked toward Shawn.

"They are still people, no matter how fucking annoying they can be," Shawn said. In full honesty, he has ulterior motives for defending them. Not that he would ever be able to tell his friends, but Shawn liked one of them romantically, Adrian.

"I mean, beyond Levi, none of them are even that annoying," Jaxson said. 

"Yes Jaxson, we know, you only hate Levi," Gabe said, his voice laced with annoyance. He adored his friends and all, but their constant debate of how bad 'The Devils' are annoyed him to no end. Although Gabe didn't agree with their choices, it was their choice. 

"I overheard that Salem got a tattoo," Austin said quietly, not looking anyone in the eye. "On his forearm. Adrian and Maddox were talking about it when I walked into school today."

Gabe's annoyance left his voice, "What of?"

Austin continued to avoid eye contact, "Don't know. I didn't want to eavesdrop. Something related to his faith though, knowing him." None of them were surprised. Salem took his religion quite seriously, far more serious than Gabe took his own, even though his father was a pastor. Gabe gently touched his green jasper necklace. 

"Interesting," Gabe said quietly. Austin shrugged gently and went back to being quiet. The Angels were aware that to anyone else, it would look like Austin felt uncomfortable around his friends, and they would be partially correct. Austin never really spoke much, and when he did he never made eye contact. Jaxson would always say it's due to his family, Shawn always said it was due to feeling alienated in life, none of them knew for sure. Austin had many secrets and he guarded his secrets with his life. 

Ryan's eyes looked over Austin's face, searching for any sign that his friend was not okay. Ryan saw none so he left Austin alone and returned to talking with Mike, Shawn, and Jaxson. Gabe walked off, saying he was going to class but instead turning down an empty hall.