Chapter Twenty

A week passed, a routine developed for them all. They had gotten used to each other. However, they were all aware of the mental clock ticking down. Each day was closer to when they went forward with their plan. Maddox tried his hardest to not think about it too much, knowing the more he did the more afraid he'd get. The plan didn't require him filing a report against his dad, but it did require him mentioning it in court and giving enough details that he could be put into foster care or be put up for adoption so Micheal could foster or adopt him.

Luckily for Maddox, his father hadn't been home a whole lot. He tends to stay out of town often, usually in hotels, so Maddox was used to living by himself. Well, mostly himself. Lately, Austin has been there all the time. Currently, Austin wasn't though. That worried Maddox more than he would openly admit. Sure, they had all agreed that gathering evidence of the physical abuse that was occurring was smart, but the thought of seeing those pictures was nauseating to Maddox. He never had a strong stomach like his friends did, they saw violence and shrugged. It made Maddox pause every time it happened.

Maddox couldn't stop pacing through his living room, worried sick for his friends. He unlocked his phone and opened his calendar app on there, and stared at the date that was highlighted for the month. Salem's birthday. 21 days left. Maddox knew that Salem was at his own house that night, he knew that Austin was at his own home. Maddox remembered seeing Austin's dad get home after school that day, and Maddox couldn't help the wave of nausea that flowed over him when he realized what would be happening to the boy he cared so much about. Maddox didn't want to go to bed, just in case Austin showed up later after what happened. Maddox sat on the couch in his living room, his eyes locked on his front door. He waited.

And waited, and waited. Maddox could feel the hours tick by as he tried to focus on something other than his own front door. He ended up occupying himself by texting with Adrian. Adrian couldn't do much to calm Maddox's fears though, he shared the same fears. However, Adrian gave Maddox the distraction he was looking for until there was a knock on his front door. Maddox set his phone down instantly and went to open the door. Quickly pulling Austin inside. Maddox looked at Austin and shut his own eyes, his nauseous state only getting worse at the sight of the blood and bruises on Austin. "Mads..." Austin said softly, "You need to take pictures... we need the evidence."

Maddox nodded some, "I will. Give me a moment though." Austin gently raised a hand to hold Maddox's face, a comforting gesture. Eventually Maddox opened his eyes and looked at Austin, tears sprang to his eyes before he really realized it. Austin's face was a wreck, but based on the blood on Austin's lips, Maddox could guess he took a few hits to the gut as well. "Sit on the couch," Maddox said quietly, grabbing his phone to take the pictures. Maddox felt awful taking the photos, he knew that Austin was in pain, but if Maddox cared for his injuries first then the full extent of the damage could be hidden.

They started with pictures of Austin's face and neck. Maddox was sickened by the bruises on Austin's throat, he wondered if the bruises on his throat were always hand shaped or if they were just a line. Maddox pushed the thought away from his head as Austin took off his shirt for Maddox to take pictures of his torso. "You know," Maddox said softly, trying to distract himself from the horror in front of himself. "I always hoped to see you shirtless."

Austin chuckled softly, "Eventually I'll make sure you see me shirtless without the bruises."

"I hate seeing you with bruises ever," Maddox said quietly as he took another photo of Austin. "Anything else we missed?" Austin moved to rest his wrists on his thighs, palm up. Maddox then noticed the bruising around Austin's wrist. "That fucker tied you up???"

"Photos Maddox," Austin said softly, "Then we can take care of the injuries okay?" Maddox nodded softly and took the picture of Austin's wrists. Maddox looked over Austin's arms a bit more and couldn't help but notice that he had old and faded scars, not from beatings, Maddox could tell that those were different.