Chapter Four

Maddox moved slowly, carefully walking with Austin to the guest bedroom in his home. His mind was racing. Why did Austin find his house to be safe, why didn't anyone notice this, why did Maddox care about Austin. Austin's head was leaning against Maddox's shoulder though, so for the time being Maddox let those concerns just melt away and he focused on getting Austin into a bed to rest. 

Austin seemed hesitant to stay, not out of fear due to something else. "What's wrong Austin?"

"I don't want to intrude..."

"Austin, you aren't intruding. Don't worry about it okay?" Maddox reassured him.

"Okay Maddox," Austin answered. Maddox quickly got Austin into bed and kept an eye on him until he fell asleep, and then Maddox went to his own room and curled up into bed. His mind was racing again, he didn't know what the hell he could do. Austin needed an escape from his own father, but if Maddox's dad showed up his home wouldn't really be an escape. Austin also made it clear he didn't want anyone else knowing and it was unlikely Austin would trust any of Maddox's friends. Maddox just resolved to be a safe spot whenever he could for Austin. With that Maddox fell asleep. 

Across town two other unlikely friends were preparing for bed, sharing a bedroom in a run down orphanage they both were put in after the same crash killed their families. Shawn looked across the room to see Adrian sitting on his bed and struggling to take off his knee brace. "Let me help Adrian."

Adrian sighed but pulled his hands back to let Shawn take the knee brace off. Shawn walked over and worked on removing the brace without hurting Adrian, "You should wrap it loosely with an ace bandage tonight. It looks like you're swelling."

"Probably because Salem wanted to parade around town today," Adrian replied, handing Shawn the ace bandage that was kept in his bedside table. Shawn began to loosely wrap Adrian's knee up.

"Fair enough," Shawn replied, "Him and Gabe are cute though. I hadn't caught on so they are good liars."

"I knew Salem could lie easily, Gabe was a surprise though," Adrian replied, watching Shawn with a steady gaze.

Shawn smiled some, "Should've caught on when Gabe was suddenly wearing jasper."

"It's a very Salem thing to gift huh?" Adrian said as he glanced at some of the crystals Salem had given him, amethyst, rose quartz, and clear quartz. 

Shawn chuckled, "Very much so." He gently kissed Adrian's knee.

"Sap."

"Shut up, you love it."

Adrian smiled and rolled his eyes, "Yeah. I do." Adrian looked at Shawn for a moment before his smile dropped some, "It's a shame we can't act like friends around the others."

"I know Adrian, at least we can be ourselves here."

"Kind of," Adrian replied.

"Mostly, at least we don't have to ignore each other."

"Until we age out in a few months."

Shawn looked down some, "I still have no clue on what we could do."

"Maddox said I could come live with him, but he isn't always super sweet to you guys." 

"I wouldn't be so sure," Shawn said.

Adrian grew defensive, Maddox was like a younger brother to him, "What do you mean Shawn?"

"He looks at Austin a lot. Way too much."

"What?" Adrian said, "You think he likes Austin or something? He's straight Shawn."

"Okay and so was Gabe." Adrian paused, Shawn was right. Gabe always said he was straight and yet there he is, dating Salem. Would Maddox lie to Adrian?

"Addy, sometimes people have secrets from their best friends even."

"Why would he hide something like that though," Adrian said, "It's not like I'd be a dick about it. I mean, he's seen me flirt with guys."

"Don't remind me of that," Shawn said, rolling his eyes. "But maybe he isn't completely sure yet and doesn't want to label himself so soon."

"Maybe," Adrian said softly. Shawn moved to sit on Adrian's bed with him and he wrapped his arms around Adrian, carefully pulling Adrian close into a warm embrace.

"I'm sure it's nothing and that he's fine," Shawn said gently as he kissed Adrian's head. 

Adrian smiled gently, "I love you Shawn."

"You better." Adrian elbowed Shawn in the stomach. "Ow! Okay, I love you too Addy."

"So, any of your friends caught on that Addy is short for Adrian or do they assume it's an Addison or something."

"Oh they definitely still think I'm straight. Well, maybe Jaxson and Gabe caught on today as I kept giving you love eyes," Shawn joked.

"Yeah, that was kinda distracting as I was trying to be surprised at how gay Salem is!" Adrian said with mock offense. Adrian paused, "Also! How dare you say I fuck anything that walks!"

Shawn laughed, "Well you sure did try for a while." Adrian turned away from Shawn and crossed his arms, still leaning against Shawn's chest and cuddled close though.  "Addy don't be like that. You know I'm joking."

Adrian continued to look away and pretended to ignore Shawn. Shawn pouted before kissing by Adrian's ear. "I'm sorry baby," He whispered, "Forgive me?"

"Always," Adrian said, turning to face Shawn and gently kissing him. "But only because I love you."

"Your love is more than enough for me," Shawn said softly before kissing Adrian's nose.

"Sap."

"Suck up."

"Hopeless Romantic."

"Hopelessly gay."

"Says you!" Adrian joked before gently hitting Shawn's chest. Shawn laughed and grabbed Adrian's hands and kissed the back of both his hands. They both went quiet and just cuddled together for a bit. Shawn holding Adrian and Adrian cuddled close to Shawn. 

"You're always so warm," Adrian mumbled into Shawn's shirt. 

Shawn chuckled lightly, "You're always cold. Maybe it's because you wear shorts year round."

"Mm, makes using the brace easier," Adrian said, sleep was carefully taking hold of him. 

"You're tired Addy," Shawn said quietly.

Adrian yawned, "No I'm not."

"Then why did you yawn?" Shawn said, yawning as well.

"Because you're comfy and I'm tired." Shawn almost laughed, stopping through and instead letting out a breath though his nose. 

"Sleep then beautiful," Shawn said quietly.

"Stay here though?"

"My bed is just across the room though," Shawn whispered.

"But you're comfy!" Adrian whined.

"Fine fine, I'll stay right here with you. Sleep baby." 

"Okay," Adrian mumbled and carefully slipped into sleep. Shawn held Adrian as he fell into his own sleep. Shawn admired Gabe and Salem's willingness to tell them. Maybe Shawn would tell Gabe about his secret love. Or maybe he won't.