Chapter Twenty-Four

Salem could tell something was off, he always could. What he hated though was that he could tell it was Levi again. It wasn't dire but Levi needed someone. Currently, most of the group was at Braxton's still. Ryan, Maddox, and Austin were still at Ryan's and Levi went home a little bit ago, but he sent a text not too long ago so they knew he was okay. Jaxson was at his house helping his mom with something, but the rest were at Braxton's. Salem was nervous, and he could tell that he needed to go see Levi. The issue was getting out without concerning the others.

"What are you thinking about there Salem?" Zeek asked, "I can smell the smoke from your brain overworking."

Salem chuckled softly, "Not much. I gotta go though. I have to do something."

"What?" Braxton asked, "Not much tends to get you away from Gabe."

"If you guys need to worry I'll make sure you know, but... I just have to go do something. I'll be safe, don't worry."

Braxton was looking at Salem and noticed the clear concern, "Keep your phone on. Ringer too."

"I will," Salem said. He kissed Gabe's head before darting out of the house. He knew that Levi wouldn't be at his house and immediately started towards the beach. All but running to get there, slowing down as the grass and dirt turned to sand and he could hear the crashing of the waves. Salem walked onto the beach and looked down the shoreline, he saw Levi sitting in the sand and just starting out towards the ocean and moon. Salem walked down the shoreline and quietly sat by Levi.

Levi didn't take his eyes off of the ocean, but he made it clear he knew Salem was there. The moonlight gleamed against his tear tracked face. "You know Levi," Salem said softly, "In the moonlight I could dare say you're attractive."

Levi smiled softly and looked towards Salem, his eyes were red. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," Salem said, "Makes your tan look nicer in a way."

Levi exhaled through his nose, a sign he did find what Salem said humorous, but couldn't really laugh at it. "Why are you here Salem? You're supposed to be at Brax's with the others."

"You needed someone," Salem said softly.

"Fuck your intuition," Levi mumbled, "I didn't ask you to be here."

"Want me to leave?"

"No."

Salem looked at Levi, "What's going on in that head of yours Levi? I can't read you."

"I wish you didn't save me Salem."

"What?"

"I know you all care about me and I have Jaxson now and I couldn't leave Jez, Seb and Kal all alone but... I wish I had died."

Salem was quiet for a moment. "Why?"

"I'm not sure."

"Levi, you have so much to live for."

"I know that Salem," Levi said, "That doesn't change the fact I want to die though... I was actually here debating drowning myself. I guess you're saving my life again Salem."

"I'll save your life for as long as you need me to Levi," Salem said, "You don't deserve to die."

"A few months ago Jaxson would disagree with that."

"Is that what this is about?" Salem asked, "Jaxson?"

"Maybe," Levi said, "We went over a year barely being able to look each other in the eye... then I said I'd do anything to be with him. Promised to stop everything and I can't even do that. I know I shouldn't have promised it. I could never leave my friends but... I did. Do you think he's mad that I won't?"