Chapter Twenty-Two

Micheal and Gabe immediately were able to identify when Ryan started to slip into flashbacks, Micheal was the one to move close to Ryan though. He gently sat by Ryan and carefully watched him, looking for any signs that they should worry about. Maddox walked out and came back with a weighted blanket, Micheal didn't stop him from draping it on Ryan's lap carefully. No one really said anything, none of them really knew what they could say. Lucas carefully sat near Ryan, but not close enough that Ryan could feel threatened. They all worried about getting too close to him. Despite never seeing it before, Salem and his friends clearly understood what was going on.

They all sat quietly and waited for Ryan to move or talk or do anything to indicate that he was okay. Maddox stayed closest to Ryan, and they could all understand why. Out of all of them, Maddox would definitely seem least threatening as he didn't look like an adult man like Ryan's abuser was. "Maddox be careful. He's hurt Gabe before while in an episode," Micheal said quietly.

"If he hurts me, he hurts me. I'll be fine," Maddox replied in a whisper. He gently reached out and gently held Ryan's hand. Tight enough there was a consistent pressure, but not hurting him. Maddox was calm, despite knowing that Ryan might end up lashing out and he would be the receiver of any aggression that would appear. Ryan slowly ended up in the present time again, Maddox smiled softly at him, "You're okay Ryan." Maddox reached up to wipe away the few tears on Ryan's cheeks. "You won't be hurt again." Ryan looked at Maddox and smiled very softly, not quite ready to talk but Maddox could tell the small smile was a thank you.

Jaxson looked at Maddox, "You're so calm..."

"I've had worse than whatever he could do," Maddox said, "Besides... It helped him. That's what matters."

"Gross," Jaxson said.

Maddox smiled and rolled his eyes, "Better Ryan?"

"Y-Yeah... thank you."

"Anytime," Maddox said smiling softly. "Especially since I'll be moving in with you soon."

"Yeah," Ryan said. He smiled. Ryan wouldn't say it out loud, but he realized then that having Maddox around would be great. "Well, I'm sure Austin will be there often as well. I don't want to be the reason you two stop hanging out."

"If you tried I'm pretty sure Austin would flip his shit."

"Probably," Ryan said.

Austin looked at Ryan for a second before looking at the group, "Let's make this clear. Anyone that tries to separate me from my emotional support human will be a homicide victim? Okay? Good."

"Note to self. Austin is scary."

"I watch crime shows for fun, I can hide your body and not get caught Shawn. Don't test me."

"Austin, calm down dude," Maddox said, "No one is gunna try to separate us. However, we kind of have to right now. Because CPS and or the cops will be here soon, so I've got explaining to do and If the cops see most of you I'm fucked."

Levi paused, "They have proof of that."

"I meant those who should be charged with assault," Maddox said, "but for real. Those of you besides Ryan should leave. I'll see you at school tomorrow, unless I have to do stuff for CPS or move into Ry's. I'll text if so. Okay? So scat, out of my house."

The group agreed and left. Most back to their own homes, Adrian and Shawn being forced at knife point by Levi into Zeek's car. All of them went back home, and waited. They knew Ryan would keep Maddox safe and do everything within his power to make sure Maddox went with him, but that didn't stop Adrian from worrying. Eventually night came and they all went to bed, crossing their fingers that Maddox would be there again tomorrow. That morning, they all went to school. Salem would have skipped, but his worry outweighed his laziness. Ryan and Maddox walked into the building together. "Are you always first in our group here?" Maddox asked Ryan.