part sixteen.

Pete's POV
(haha bet u didn't expect this)

It didn't take a genius to know that Ariana was still awake. Every couple of minutes she would shift around to try and get in a comfortable position and even though it annoyed me, I kept my mouth shut. We didn't speak to each other often anymore. I swear I had better conversations with Toulouse than with her. I get it, she's going through some tough shit, but it really had a negative effect on us. I had needs that she couldn't attend to, and she had needs that I didn't know how to deal with. I'm not saying that either of us are at fault, I'm just saying it as it is.

I looked over to my right and I could tell that Ariana was sleeping now. Her breaths were even and even though she didn't snore, her breaths were a bit heavier. Usually, I'd be right next to her with my arm wrapped tightly around her, but instead I was on the opposite side of the bed, as far as I could get from her. I couldn't seem to hold her like I wanted to and everything felt like it was falling apart. It wasn't just a silly little phase or a small argument, our relationship was actually dying out.

I knew that our relationship would end soon.

I wiped a tear that made its way down my cheek. I forced myself to stop crying, even though it made my throat hurt. I knew that if Ariana heard me and woke up, she wouldn't hesitate to see if I was okay. Even though we weren't on the best terms, she's still a good person at heart. She cares for me like she would care for anyone. She's just a good person like that.

Our breakup is long overdue. I can tell we're both not happy. I sat up carefully so that Ariana wouldn't wake up. I grabbed my phone and checked the time. It was nearly 4am. I turned my brightness all the way up and used it as some sort of flashlight. Quietly but quickly, I made my way around our room, grabbing a few clothes and other things I needed, stopping only for a few moments to make sure Ariana was still asleep. I knew I couldn't bring everything with me. Either I'd find a way to get everything another day, or maybe Ariana would just burn it or something. Once I had a book bag full of the things I needed, I slipped out of the room, closing the door quietly behind me. I staggered into the living room, suddenly feeling dizzy. I sat on the couch and buried my head into my hands.

This wasn't the ideal way to end the
relationship, but I needed to leave when Ariana couldn't fight for me to stay. If she was awake, I know she would beg me not to go. I know she would tell me that we would get better. And I know that I would believe her, too. I'd believe her even though I know deep down nothing can fix us. No matter how much you want it, some things are just not meant to be. So, I had to do it while Ariana could not fight for us. I truly believe that this was the best option for the both of us.

The relationship meant as much to me as it did to Ariana. A lot of her fans said I was only dating her for the fame, but I wasn't. I truly, deeply loved that woman. She was the light of my life and it really hurt me that I was leaving her. It hurt me even more to think about how she would feel when she woke up in the morning. I didn't want to think about it. I stood up from the couch and made my way towards the door. I thought about turning around and crawling back into the warm bed with Ariana. I would just ignore all of our problems and maybe even put my arm around her like I used to, but I know that it wouldn't feel right.

I opened the door and left before I could change my mind.

————————————————————————
Sorry for the really long wait on this chapter. I had major writers block and also school made me forget this was even a thing. I'm back though, but school is still up my ass, so updates may or may not take longer