part seventeen.

Ariana's POV

I called Pete 37 times and he still was not answering. I left him messages and voicemails, but he still wouldn't answer. I wasn't stupid. I know he left, half of his things were gone. He was gone. I dialed his number again and held the phone up to my ear. To my disappointment, it went to voicemail. Again.

"Pete, I swear to god. If you don't answer I swear I'll..." A sob escaped my lips. Up until that moment, I was angry. So angry that I hadn't even cried. But then, everything caught up to me and I realized that he wasn't going to answer the phone. Instead of finishing my sentence, I ended the call and threw my phone on the couch. Another sob escaped my lips as I buried my head in my hands. My chest felt like it was ripping apart and I wanted everything to stop. The floor was ripped from beneath me and I didn't know how to handle these feelings.

I reached out for my phone again, this time dialing Courtney's phone instead. It rang for a minute, before going to voicemail. I wiped another tear that made its way down my cheek and sent Courtney a text telling her to come over as soon as she can. I really didn't want to be alone at the moment, so I dialed y/n's number. I usually don't call her, but it didn't take long for her to answer.

"Hello?" Her voice came out softly through the phone.

"Y/n..." I tried, but even speaking was too hard to do.

"Hey, is everything alright? What's wrong?"

"Pete is... I don't know what to do- He just..." My head was spinning and I couldn't even form a full sentence.

"Just breath." She told me and I heard her shuffling around. "I'm coming over, is that okay?"

"Yes." I managed to say.

We didn't speak to each other after that, but she didn't hang up. I was able to hear her start the car and drive off. She lived a good distance away, so I know it would be at least 20 minutes before she would be here. I put myself on mute since I couldn't hold back my sobs anymore. I didn't want her to hear me, but I didn't want to hang up either.

"I'm still here, okay?" She spoke softly.

I didn't respond, but it was comforting to me knowing that she was there.

After a few minutes y/n spoke again. "I'm here. I'm making my way up now. Are you still there?"

I composed myself and unmuted the phone. "I'm still here. The door is open."

After a few more seconds, she hung up the phone call. The door opened right after and y/n made her way over to me. Up until then, I was doing a good job at not crying in front of her, but as soon as she wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly, I couldn't hold it in anymore. An ugly cry left my lips as I buried my face into her shoulder. She tightened her grip on my as I wrapped my arms around her. To an extent, it was a little weird since I had only met y/n barely two months ago, but it was also the most comfortable I've ever been. I wasn't scared or afraid to show how I felt in front of her. She pulled away slightly and looked at me with a soft expression.

"What happened?" She asked me.

For a moment, I had almost forgotten about Pete. Everything came crashing back down and I struggled to hold my tears in to get at least one sentence out.

"Pete... left. He's gone. I don't-" I cried again, quickly wiping my tears away. "We were having a tough time, but we weren't bad. Did I do something wrong?"

She shook her head. She opened her mouth to speak but the door opened behind her and Courtney walked in with a concerned expression on her face. "Hey, I got your message. What happened?"

She sat down beside me on the couch and I explained what happened with Pete and I. To be honest, I wasn't really sure what happened. Is Pete coming back? Are we officially broken up? Why did he have to make everything such a mess?

My phone vibrated and I looked at it to see that it was a message from Pete. I immediately clicked on it, thinking that he was coming back.

I was wrong.

After replying to his message, I blocked his number and deleted his contact

After replying to his message, I blocked his number and deleted his contact. Tears threatened to fall again and I struggled to keep them back. I didn't want to cry anymore, but it's like that's all I was ever made to do.

I can never be happy.