Ice Cream

Ares

The moment we walked into the mall she halted and looked around in awe. Her lips were parted and her eyes were slightly wide.

She looked like a kid in a candy store. Happy.

Needless to say I was ecstatic that I had made her happy.

"Can we go there?" She asked excitedly as she pointed at a store.

"Of course" I chuckled and walked behind her.

She walked into the store and started roaming around looking for clothes that she liked.

It seems it's been ages since she had last gone shopping.

"Which one do you like?" She asked me as she held out two tops.

Silly girl. She doesn't know I would love anything on her.

"Which one do you like?" I asked her but she frowned and bit her lip.

"I like both and I don't know which one to choose" Her bottom lip slightly stuck out into a pout drawing all my attention to her lips.

"Get both" I told her forcing my eyes away from her lips.

"I don't want to spend so much of your money" She said quietly.

This girl couldn't understand how much I wanted to spoil her.

"Don't worry about the money" I said as I smiled at her.

But she couldn't let it go. She kept trying to choose between clothes when I wasn't watching, but I would end up buying her everything she showed liking towards.

I couldn't tell her I wanted to spoil her. I couldn't tell her what she meant to me and I couldn't express my feelings. It was frustrating.

To her, we were strangers and I didn't want to be a creep in her eyes.

Even though I probably was. I felt like I was.

We were walking around as she was exploring the mall when I heard her stomach grumble. I saw her face because bright red.

Fuck she's so endearing.

"Come on, we'll go get some food" I said taking her small hand in mine.

Hopefully it wasn't a bold move.

Her small chilly fingers intertwined with mine and I knew I was a goner.

This feeling, I'll never forget.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked her as I smiled down at her. Her finger played with her bottom lip as she looked like she was thinking.

"Pizza?" She said looking up at me with her doll eyes.

"Pizza it is" I smiled and led her to an Italian restaurant.

After eating pizza I asked her if she wanted ice cream and I saw the excitement that brightened up her face so I immediately led her to an ice cream shop.

But I regretted it right away.

"Ares!" I heard a voice I knew all too well. "How's my bestie doing?!" He asked as he walked around the counter and pinched my cheeks. I pushed him off and rolled my eyes.

Not the right time buddy.

"How dare you push me away?!" He exclaimed faking offense.

"Nate, not the right time-"

"Pretty little thing you've got there" He said as he looked behind me.

Serenity had hidden behind me and was clutching my shirt. I was torn between feeling proud that she felt safe with me and annoyed by the situation.

"I'm Nate" He said holding out his hand with a friendly smile.

"I-I'm Serenity" She said quietly making Nate's eyes go wide.

Fuck.

"Pretty name for a pretty lady" He said laughing it off. "Why don't you go choose an ice cream flavor and I'll come prepare it in a minute" He suggested.

Serenity looked up at me and I gave her a reassuring smile before she walked away.

"She's the Serenity?!" Nate whisper-yelled.

"Shut up!" I whispered checking to see if she was listening. She was completely drawn to the ice cream flavors thinking hard about what to choose.

Adorable.

"I'll explain another time"

"Woah my guy just straight up kidnapped her" He said releasing a deep breath.

"I didn't kidnap her you idiot!" I whispered

"Are you sure? She looks a bit scared" He pointed out.

"That's because of you!" I said a little too loud and checked on her to see if she had noticed.

Nope. Ice cream was way more important.

"Whatever you say Ares, wait till Leo finds out" He chuckled darkly shaking his head. "He'll be hurt you didn't tell him. Just like you hurt me. You betrayed our friendship Ares!"

Such a drama king

"Leo won't give a shit"

"We'll talk about it later, I have some ice cream to prepare now" He said and turned to leave but I grabbed his collar.

"Why do you even work here? Don't you like, have millions?"

"Little Ares" He said patting my head. "I'm just a volunteer here and I like it unlike you and Leo, the two annoying ice cubes, I actually have a life, now fuck off" He gave me a smile dripping with sarcasm and walked behind the counter.

I knew Nate's annoying remarks were worth it when I saw the happiness on her face. I felt my heart swell with joy as I watched her. She was finally happy and I could finally look at her and talk to her without being a complete creepy stranger.

I shook off the thought not wanting to get my hopes up. I was her guardian now, I couldn't see her like that.

But I did and it was so hard to control it and take it slow. I shouldn't take it slow, I shouldn't take it at all.

She would find another guy and she would be happy and get married and have kids.

Just the thought shattered me and made me seething with anger. I knew no one could spoil her as much as I could. Only I could make her that happy.

I'll protect her and make her happy till the day I die.