Family Picture

Serenity

"W-what are you doing?" I asked him. He leaned closer and started giving my cheeks light kisses.

"Are you uncomfortable?" He mumbled between kisses. "You're so adorable, I just want to give you all my affection"

"I-isn't that too much?" I asked, much to my disappointment. I wanted him to keep doing it. It felt good.

I could feel his hands around the back of my thighs tightening their hold. It kind of hurt but not in a bad way.

"Only if you say so" He said and stopped. I instantly pouted and he smirked at me. "Which you don't, right baby?" He asked and pressed a lingering kiss on my cheek.

"Right" I whispered, embarrassed to say it.

"My sweet girl, always so good" He mumbled and nuzzled into my neck before brushing his lips against it.

I hummed and felt my face getting hotter than ever.

He faced me staring at me with his silver eyes as his full lips slightly parted.

"You're so beautiful" He murmured.

I wanted to laugh.

This guy was the definition of handsome and sexy and he was calling me beautiful?

"Thank you?" It sounded more like a question than a reply. I was lost and confused.

He groaned and rested his forehead on mine. He kissed my forehead and let me down.

"I'm sorry" He whispered. I wasn't sure what he was asking sorry for. "Go sleep now, it's pretty late"

"Put me to sleep?" I asked looking up at him. He smiled and took my hand leading me to my room. He always stays beside me until I fall asleep. He's warm and big and cuddly so I really like it. It's very comfortable.

"Go to your room, I'll just take a shower and be right back"

I pouted but nodded. I got under the covers and made sure to stay away till he came back. After a few minutes he was under the covers next to me. He spooned me and nuzzled into my neck.

______

"So how's Mr Hottie" Tessa asked as we walked out of the school. I felt a pang of jealousy when I heard the nickname.

"He's good"

"Is he treating you good?" Jane asked. I nodded smiling.

If only you knew.

As we left school grounds I noticed a familiar figure near.

I instantly panicked and walked faster.

"Ren, what's wrong?" Tessa asked as they walked faster next to me.

"Serenity wait!" She yelled. I kept walking but she put her hand on my shoulder and stopped me.

"What do you want?!" I spat. I didn't like treating people like this, but I couldn't help myself.

"Why won't you listen to me?"

"You're crazy! Get over it"

The girls were looking at me with confusion and I saw Ares walking towards us in the distance.

Of course he came to pick me up.

"Leave me alone" I told her and turned to leave.

"No, I walked away once I won't do it again" She said.

That was my breaking point.

"Shut up!" I screamed just as I felt his presence next to me. He towered over me as he stood behind me and put his hands on my shoulders gently. I threw a glance at the girls and nodded at them. They nodded and mouthed 'call us' before leaving.

"What are you doing here?" My mother asked looking up at Ares.

"I think I should be the one asking that" He said calmly massaging my shoulders. It was relaxing and I leaned back on his chest and closed my eyes huffing in annoyance.

"I'm her mother" she dared say.

"You're not my mother! Stop lying!" I yelled immediately tensing up again. Ares shushed me and kept massaging my shoulders.

"I don't know who you are, but I am her guardian and when I see someone bothering her my job is to get rid of them"

"Get rid of me?! Serenity don't you see!? He's a dangerous man! He's the one who killed you father!"

"Ares please take me away from here" I pleaded him feeling unable to control my anger.

He picked me up bridal style and walked me to the car as the woman was yelling in the distance.

As he was driving I noticed how tense and angry he looked. His grip on the wheel was too tight and his jaw was set. I even saw a vein on his neck popping.

"Are you okay?" I asked him quietly. I was a little scared since he looked so angry. Father didn't like it when I asked him things, especially when he was angry.

He seemed to snap out of whatever trance he was in and his gaze softened as he glanced at me.

"Are you scared of me?" He asked, his voice husky and surprised.

"N-no-"

"You are" He said through gritted teeth. I saw him frowning with a painful expression. "Why are you scared of me?"

"You seemed angry that's all" I said fiddling with my fingers.

"Don't ever be scared of me Serenity. I'll never ever hurt you, okay?" He asked for reassurance, "Not intentionally" He added whispering.

"Okay" I mumbled.

We arrived at home but he had to leave for "business" so I stayed home alone.

What that woman said today troubled me. She knew where I went to school. She knew my name, she knew that my father died and she called Ares dangerous and even went as far as to say he killed my father. She was crazy, I knew that.

Out of curiosity, I opened an old box I used to have in my old room. I had hidden it in the back of my walk in closet since I didn't want to think about the old times. I saw life with Ares as an opportunity to live a new life and be reborn, but I guess the past still haunted me.

I took the frame into my hands caressing the dust away.

There we were, my family. Me, my parents and my siblings all together in a family photo. I was the youngest sibling and my mother was holding me. My three brothers were covered in dirt, I guess they had had been playing outside, I kind of remember they were into sports. My sister, which was the oldest, was standing next to my mother looking at me with a look full of adoration and my father had a smile on his face full of pride.

He used to be a good man. He used to be a good father. What happened?

But what struck me the most was the face of my mother. Now that I could see it clearly, she looked like the woman claiming to be my mom. The only difference was my mom had long brown hair like me, but the woman had platinum blonde hair.

Could it be she's really my mom? How else would she know my name and everything else?

I didn't want to believe it because if I did, I had to believe that there was a possibility that Ares was indeed a dangerous man and that he might have been the one who killed my father.

All my memories of what happened come back to me and I feel instant disgust.

Even if she is my mom, I can't trust someone like her.

What kind of mother would leave her child behind, especially when she knew what was in store for me.

Even if that woman is my mom, I won't let her walk into my life thinking she can boss me around. She's nothing to me now.