Chapter 15: Cain

You remained silent for a long time as the lights of the city streets flashed past you. Your eyes trailed over the expensive looking car interior, and you felt guilty just for sitting there. What were you doing with Cain of all people?

"Where are you taking me?" You asked, your eyes finally moving back to Cain.

"To the hospital," He replied softly, "Your injuries look painful, and you can barely walk."

"W-What?" You squeaked, "No, I can't go to the hospital, I don't need to. I'm fine."

"You are clearly not fine," He answered in a stiff voice, "I saw the way they kicked you. You need to be sure that you don't have any fractured bones."

"I'm fine Cain, please just take me home." You still did not feel comfortable being near Cain, especially to a hospital where you may be placed in a vulnerable position. You watched Cain, and you noticed how his knuckles turned white around the steering wheel.

"Please, allow me to help you," He said in a low, almost threatening voice. "I will not let you return home with injuries like that. You will come with me." His words left no room for argument. You slumped back into the seat, your nerves flitting through you. There was another tense silent moment, as you tried to calm your racing heart. You could not read Cain. Was he dangerous, or not? You recalled Kara's words just that afternoon, when you had talked to her about Cain.

"He thinks Cain is an example of what a good child should be like... and we all know that's not true."

You had only ever heard bad things about Cain... but what if they were wrong? What if Cain was actually not as bad as he seemed? He had saved you after all...

"Umm..." You muttered, trying to break the silence, "You study A.I. at Colbridge, right?" The corner of his mouth lifted a little.

"Yes... I'm on my second year."

"Colbridge is quite a fair way from here..." You mused.

"I take a train every morning," He replied, "It's not as far as it seems." You nodded, unsure of what to say next.

"Connor will be very worried when he finds out about you," Cain murmured, "He cares about you a lot you know." Your heart seemed to skip a beat, and you hoped the red flush spreading to your cheeks would not give you away.

"Connor cares about me?"

"Of course," Cain answered, turning his gaze on you, "How long have you two been dating? Connor never tells me anything..."

"U-Umm," You stuttered, "W-We're not dating..." You blurted out, before you could stop yourself. Cain looked surprised for a moment, before giving you an odd smile.

"Is that right?" He glanced away. "That's interesting..."

"What's interesting?" You replied, but he did not answer, as he pulled the car into the hospital parking lot. He easily drove the car into an empty space, and shut off the engine. Without warning, he leaned over you, and undid your seatbelt.

"Can you walk inside, or do I need to carry you again?" He smirked.

"I can walk just fine!" You snapped, feeling embarrassed as you stumbled from the car. Finally getting a good look at it in the bright lights of the hospital, you realized it was a Porsche. Cain locked the car with the click of a button, and began to stride towards the hospital entrance. You stumbled after him, desperately trying to keep up on your aching leg. As you stumbled, he returned to your side, giving you a stern look as he wrapped his arm around your shoulder.

"You clearly do need my help," He mused, and you glared at him, as you limped towards the hospital. He helped you into the waiting room, and led you to an empty chair, before striding over to the reception desk. You glanced around, wondering what terrible luck you must have to fall into a situation like this.