Chapter 19: Alarm

Unsure of what to do, and knowing you would have to return to class, you made the embarrassing trek through the school hallways, still soaked with water. A few other students glanced at you, however, with the large amount of teenagers crowding the small corridor, no one paid you much attention.

You eventually made it to your science class, where Kara was standing out the front, Ralph eagerly talking beside her.

"Ralph categorized all the molecules together in my article!! Look, look at it!!" He forced the textbook he was holding into Kara's face, and Kara tried her best to calm Ralph's excitement.

"Wow, that's amazing Ralph..." She replied, rather unenthusiastically. Just as Ralph was about to go on another tangent, she turned and saw you, her face lighting up.

As you approached, you felt her eyes scan you, and the puddle of water growing at your feet. You sneezed slightly, and Kara's face contorted with concern.

"Are you okay? What happened?!" She abandoned her place in the line and went to you, looking at your soaked form.

"I was on the receiving end of some sort of 'practical joke,'" You deadpanned, and Kara gave you a worried look.

"You must be freezing. You can't go to class like this!"

"I have to... what about my science project with Connor?"

"It can wait! And besides, Connor isn't even here." You followed Kara's gaze, and noticed that she was right. Neither Markus, nor Connor were here. Kara rushed towards the classroom door, glancing at you as she went. "Pretend you're really sick, and I'll get you out of class." Before you could reply, she called out to Mr Andronikov.

"Mr Andronikov! [F/N] isn't feeling well... can I take her to the nurse's office?"

The teacher gave you and Kara a scrutinizing look. "She looks perfectly fine to me."

"Oh but she is so ill!!" Kara insisted, and you forced out a feeble cough. "She can barely stand up straight, she's shaking, and sweating." You didn't think Kara needed to add in that last part, and some of the other students giggled. Mr Andronikov looked you over a second time, and the part about 'sweating' seemed to convince him. He tossed a permission slip Kara's way, and returned to the classroom. "If I find you were lying, there will be a detention in it for both of you!"

"Yes sir, thank you!" Kara replied, smiling as she gripped the permission slip.

"What about Ralph?!" Ralph interrupted. "Ralph can't do the project alone!!"

"I'm sorry Ralph, but [F/N] is really sick!!" Kara insisted, patting him on the shoulder. "Besides, you're so good at science, that I'm sure you'll do an amazing job even without me." Ralph pouted.

"But it's no fun with only Ralph to talk to..."

"Don't worry Ralph. I'll be back before you know it."

Nodding dejectedly, Ralph turned back towards the classroom, and followed the group of students inside. Kara helped you up the hallway, and you continued your sick act until you were out of sight of the teachers. Kara giggled, a sly grin on her face.

"I can't believe you did that!" You laughed, shaking your head slightly.

"I have to take some advice from Connor's books, especially when it comes to Mr Andronikov's class." She scrunched up her nose at the thought of Mr Andronikov.

"Where is Connor and Markus anyway?"

"Well, Markus had a meeting with the student council. And Connor... well... I'm sure he's skipping like he always does." Kara led you towards the girl's locker rooms, just beside the gym. She hummed softly as she approached her locker, twisting the combination of the lock.