Chapter 30: Pretenses

As you woke up the next morning, your mind snapped back to the events of the previous evening.

You could still recall the feeling of Connor's hand gently touching your face, and his lips on yours. It had been a moment you had wanted for so long, and now looking back on the evening made it all seem like a dream. Had you really kissed him? Did that happen after all?

Feeling flustered, you went about your morning like usual. It was another weekend, which left you with far too much time with your thoughts.

The truth was, you felt guilty. You had taken a step towards being with Connor, and yet you still did not know how you truly felt about him.

Okay... you did know.

You loved Connor. Every time you saw him, your heart fluttered with excitement. Yet even with your thoughts of Connor, you also loved Markus. His words touched your soul in a way no one elses could.

You could not be with Connor when you still had feelings for Markus. That would be unfair, to both of them. Yet you still could not make a decision, and you hated yourself for it. You didn't want to hurt either of them.

After breakfast, you distracted yourself through preparing lunch for Kara. You had promised yourself that you would do it for Kara, and you intended to keep that promise.

Once you were done, you walked the short distance to her house. It was a bright day, and the sun cast a glow over everything it touched. It also warmed your heart, and helped you relax with your confused feelings.

You reached Kara's house and walked towards the door, before knocking on it. You were relieved when Kara answered the door, and her face lit up upon seeing you.

"[F/N]!! You're here." She reached forward and pulled you into your arms. You remembered how much you missed seeing Kara.

"You came at a perfect time," Kara insisted, "My dad is out, so you can come in."

You followed her inside, and were surprised to see that although the house was old, the inside was kept very clean and tidy. You wandered up the corridor, gazing at the television, and the coffee table. The only thing out of place was the beer bottle left beside the couch. Kara sheepishly walked over to pick it up.

"Todd insists on having the house clean," She muttered, explaining the tidy state of the house. "He gets upset if I don't tidy up after him."

You followed her into the kitchen and opened your bag, placing the packaged food on the bench.

"I made these for you."

Kara turned, her eyes falling on the boxes. She looked in surprise at them, then back at you. "Y-You made these?"

"Yes," You insisted, giving her a slight smile. "You did help me learn how to cook better after all." Kara looked at you, and you could have sworn you saw her eyes well up slightly. She reached forward, hugging you for the second time.

"You don't know how much this means to me [F/N]." She leaned on your shoulder, shaking slightly, holding back tears. You squeezed your arms around her, as if trying to keep her together.

"I want to do all I can for you Kara. I know it isn't much, but I can do this."

Kara leaned back, wiping her tears away. She picked up the packages and began putting them carefully into the fridge.

"Trust me, it's more than enough," She replied, her back turned to you. "Alice will be thrilled when I tell her later." She finally returned her gaze to you, and closed the fridge. "She's out with friends now, and happier fortunately."