Chapter 25: Reasons To Smile

Time passed, and you still could hardly sleep. Every time you closed your eyes, visions of your nightmares haunted you. Yet you could not understand why.

It had been years since the incidents at your previous school after all. Eden High was cast in shadow for you: but now you were somewhere different. Why was it that all of a sudden, you could not stop thinking about those memories?

You knew you were being paranoid when you thought about Connor. Connor could not possibly be related to the incidents that had been happening to your lately. Connor was your friend.

You decided that it was a mix of paranoia and anxiety, with worrying about Kara and her home situation, and with trying to decipher your feelings between Markus and Connor.

For the time being, you pushed your anxious thoughts out of your mind. Right now, exams were coming up, and you needed to focus. You really did not want to fail your exams, especially since this was your final year of school.

However, ever since Mr Perkin's had taken over English class, you found that your grades had begun to slip. Mr Anderson, although quite grizzly and sometimes a little awkward to talk to, had been a good teacher. He gave you enough incentive to learn what you needed to, and didn't reprimand anyone who got a grade that was less than perfect. Sometimes, in order to get a good grade, you don't need a teacher who forces you to do the work, but a teacher that is there to encourage you no matter what results you bring in.

Unfortunately, it had become clear even to Mr Perkin's that you were struggling, and after class one day, he called you over.

"What is this?" He asked in a menacing voice, placing a sheet of paper in front of you. Your heart sank at the failing grade on the paper. "Well, what is it?" He repeated.

"It's my essay..."

"It's a failure," He replied, jabbing his finger at the report. "How do you expect to pass your finals?"

"I'm sorry sir, I'll try harder..." You muttered, reaching towards your report. He did not let you take it.

"You should. If you fail, you'll bring the grade level down for the whole class."

"Excuse me sir." A voice interrupted, you turned to see Markus standing nearby. The rest of the class had already filtered out.

"What is it Manfred? Class has been dismissed."

"I feel it is my duty as class representative, to ensure that all students are prepared for exams," Markus said, in a calm voice. "I will help [F/N] to study, and I assure you, she'll pass her exams with high scores."

"That's a big promise. Are you certain you can achieve it?"

"I always keep my promises." Markus gave a calm smile. In this moment, he looked every bit the part of a motivated class representative. Mr Perkin's scowled at him, before allowing you to take your paper.

"I expect to see better results from you miss [L/N]."

You nodded at Mr Perkin's, not even bothering to respond. You followed Markus out of the room.

"Are you okay?" Markus said, as you both walked down the corridor. "I don't normally like disrespecting teachers... but that man is such a prick." You wondered if Connor's language was rubbing off on him.

"I am fine... I just don't know how I'll lift my score," You murmured.

"I meant what I said," Markus continued, "I can help you with English. If we can lift your grades, then perhaps Mr Perkin's won't be so hard on you."

"You can do that?" You asked, allowing yourself to hope.

"Of course." He gave you a warm smile. "You can come to my place after school. We can study together."