Chapter 24: Doubt

It was dark. Were you back on that stage again? You walked, and you could not feel your legs. You shuddered as you moved, but still were uncertain as to where you were moving to. There was no light. Only the darkness of the empty space. Suddenly, you found yourself on that stage again. But this time, there was no spotlight. Through the dim light, you could make out the crowds of people staring at you. There was too many. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of people, all chattering and pointing their fingers at you. No matter where you moved, their eyes followed you. You could not escape. You turned away from their judging eyes, limping towards the curtains. You moved backstage. Suddenly, your legs stopped working altogether, and you collapsed to the floor. You heard their words again, the words that you had heard every day after your failed performance. "You're nothing," They whispered, "You do not deserve your wings. We will make sure you fall." And so you did. The floor beneath you gave way, and you fell. Over, and over, you tumbled through the darkness. You tried to scream, but no noise fell from your throat. You pleaded to wake up. If this was a nightmare, then you wanted to wake up.

Moments later, you stumbled into a dimly lit hallway. It was the hallway you always walked up to get to your classes. But this time, the hallway was empty, and the sky was pitch black outside. Your legs, that were no longer broken, carried you further through the corridors. At first, you thought you were alone. But as you listened to your steps, you noticed how every time you stopped, you heard one extra step behind you. You walked down the corridor, listening for the extra step that always came after the first. You ran, and you heard the figure following behind you. Were they the one who had been chasing you after all this time? You rounded a corner, and suddenly, they were there. Lightning flashed inside the hallway, and you could see their face for the first time. They were...

Your alarm clock rang, and you sprang up from your bed. Groggily, you stared around your bedroom. It was morning, and you knew you would have to get ready for school.

As you shut off your alarm clock, you tried to recall what you had been dreaming about. But as the sunlight filtered through your curtains, flooding the room with light, you forgot the dream.

Still you felt restless. As you went about the rest of your morning, you felt as if that dream must have had some sort of importance. You could tell it had not been a pleasant dream. But what had that dream been trying to tell you?

As you entered the school, the dream still lingered at the back of your mind. You knew you needed to remember it, but no matter what you did, you could not.

You were so lost in your thoughts, that you did not watch where you were going, and stumbled right into Chloe Kamski. Of all people...

"Watch where you're going!" North chided, standing at her regular place at Chloe's side.

"I'm so sorry Chloe," You apologized, helping her up. Chloe dusted herself off, giving you a warm smile. North made an annoyed sound, then continued on her way. Chloe however, lingered by you for a moment longer.

"You seem distracted... is everything alright?"

"I just... keep having weird dreams," You replied. Chloe frowned, her blue eyes studying you for a moment.

"Do you still think about it?" She said quietly, "That moment..." Without any further words, you knew what she was talking about.

"When I fell? Yes..." You replied, "And everything afterwards. I'll always remember it."

"It wasn't your fault. You know that, right?" Chloe continued, "North is insistent to blame you for everything. But... we are only human." You nodded.

"I don't blame North... I don't blame anyone for what they said to me, or for what happened."

"You don't hate them? Even after the things they said?"