four ☆ sharing our dance

AUGUST
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

"i'm so mad!" june groaned, slamming her lunch tray on the lunch table.

"you're never mad," jack pointed out, "something's wrong."

"i joined the student council, and i found out that our school is low on funds," june explained, "they're canceling the homecoming dance."

"what?" jonah asked, his voice raising, "they can't cancel the dance! after prom, the homecoming dance is the best event at this school!"

as his three friends discussed the homecoming dance dilemma, zach was in his own world. he was listening to the doo-wops & hooligans studio album by bruno mars while he took few bites of the peanut butter sandwich that his mother prepared for him the night before.

"i need to find a way to convince the council to keep the dance going," june declared, "anyone have ideas?"

"maybe we can have some more fundraisers?" jack suggested.

"car washes and bake sales," jonah added.

"that's perfect," june agreed, "what do you think, zach?"

the brunet didn't reply. he was staring at the empty space in front of him as his music blasted in his ears.

"hello... zach?" june laughed, waving her hand in his face.

the boy snapped out of his thoughts, "oh, um, what were you asking?"

"june needs advice on fundraising ideas to save the homecoming dance," jack answered.

"uh, what if we combine the dance with another school?" zach suggested, "maybe a pineland and oakland homecoming?"

"wait... that could work!" june agreed.

"yeah, but oakland is our rivals," jack brought up, leaning back on his chair.

"so?" jonah scoffed, "if i can dance the night away with rose, i don't care where it is."

"i'll tell the council tomorrow, they have to say yes," june remarked.

inevitably, the student council agreed on june's proposal, and it was official. the homecoming dance would still carry on, but at a different location.

-

"good morning, oakland high, today we have many important announcements," a representative of the a.v. club announced over the loudspeakers.

elena sat at her desk as she doodled flowers in her journal, but her head perked up when they had an announcement regarding homecoming.

"this year, our homecoming will be different," the representative started, "it will still be located at the oakland high gym, but our dance will be combined with pineland high. therefore, we will be sharing our dance with those attending pineland."

there were many mixed emotions. some people cheered, but many people groaned. the bell rang, and elena headed to her first period.

"bonjour, sortez votre cahier et un stylo," mr. dubois declared as his students walked into the classroom.

elena sat down next to rosaline, and did what her teacher said as she took out her yellow notebook and black pen.

"did you hear the announcements?" rosaline asked, earning a nod from elena, "i'm so excited since this will be my first homecoming with jonah. it's the perfect way to start off our senior year."

elena smiled, "i'm not really sure what to expect with this dance. i'm excited because we get to make new friends with some of the pineland kids, but i know a lot of people aren't happy with this because they're our rivals."

...