forty-seven ☆ snow day

JANUARY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

"did you guys see the snow?" corbyn asked, walking into school, "i have a big feeling that they're going to call an early dismissal during first period."

"i bet it'll be called during homeroom," rosaline declared.

"oh, so we're having a bet?" corbyn asked, earning a nod from rosaline, "okay, if you're right, you owe me a hot chocolate from courtney's café."

"and if i'm right, you owe me a smoothie from royal berry bowls," rosaline declared, sticking her hand out for corbyn to shake it, "deal?"

corbyn shook her hand, and the five split up to head to their lockers. all of a sudden, the loudspeaker buzzed, and the principal announced, "good morning, oakland high! unfortunately, due to the weather, we will be having an early dismissal. since attendance has not been taken yet, we will classify this occurrence as a snow day. please vacate the school as soon as possible. hopefully, we will see you all tomorrow!"

all the students in the hallway immediately cheered, and repacked all of their belongings into their book bag.

"the best part about living in utah is having snow days," presley said to elena, zipping up her jacket.

"i won, i won!" rosaline cheered, running down the hallway, "i won the bet!"

corbyn and daniel caught up with rosaline, and everyone gathered around presley's locker.

"i won the bet!" rosaline cheered again.

corbyn rolled his eyes, "this is so not fair."

"ha, you owe me a smoothie," rosaline teased.

"wait, no," elena realized, "neither of you won."

"huh?" corbyn and rosaline both asked.

"well, corbyn said that the early dismissal would be called during first period, and rosie said it would be called during homeroom," elena started, "the homeroom bell never rang, so technically, the dismissal was called before school even formally started."

"ha, so you didn't win!" corbyn cheered, sticking his tongue out at rosaline, "i don't owe you a smoothie!"

-

"hey, do you need a ride home?" jonah asked june, catching up with her in the hallway.

"it's okay, jonah, i'll just take the bus," june replied, "i'll probably text you later, okay?"

jonah nodded, and waved goodbye to the brunette. june headed to the bus stop, and after a few minutes, she arrived at the stop right by her house. the snow started to pick up, and june struggled a bit just walking around the block to her house. she dug into her purse to find her keys, but they were nowhere to be found. regardless of the freezing utah weather, june began to sweat. she was locked outside of her house in the middle of a snowstorm.

all of a sudden, she heard a car parking. june turned around, and saw daniel's car adjusting it's position in front of his house. the blond boy hopped out of his car, and squinted his eyes to see the brunette girl standing on her porch. he called out, "june, is that you?"