seventy-three ☆ plans for graduation

JUNE
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

it was the last day of finals, and the senior graduation was going to be in just a few days. everything that happened at prom had blown over, and everyone's main focus was on their final exams. elena was especially nervous for her calculus final, and it was her last one.

elena and zach walked into the calculus room and took their seats. the dark-haired girl's heart was racing since calculus was always difficult for her, and she wanted to make sure she received an adequate grade on her exam.

"nervous?" zach whispered.

"i'm nervous to the power of seven," elena replied, "my marking period grades for calculus weren't that great, so i need to do pretty well on this exam."

zach squeezed her hand, "you're going to do amazing, ellie."

after the exam was over and the school day ended, the couple headed to royal berry bowls to celebrate.

"i'm so glad that's over," zach declared, taking a sip from his matcha smoothie, "the open ended section was so confusing."

"you tell me," elena agreed, "i don't think i did too bad. i'm expecting maybe an eighty."

the store door bell rang, and in came three people. it was daniel, corbyn, and rosaline. the three noticed zach and elena, and greeted them.

"hey, guys, we didn't expect seeing you here," daniel remarked.

elena's eyes lit up seeing her old friends. even though she was on good terms with them, it still wouldn't be the same until her and presley were friends again.

the dark-haired girl hugged all of them, and asked, "what are you guys doing here?"

"just getting ourselves some açaí bowls before we head to presley's," corbyn answered.

"oh," elena responded, her tone becoming somber, "you guys are having the end-of-year pool thing at her house right?"

"y-yeah," rosaline stuttered, "i'm sorry, elena."

"it's okay," elena acknowledged, "do you guys want to sit? we could go over to that table and talk some more."

"sounds good," daniel replied.

elena stood up from her beanbag and took a seat at a table just a few feet away from zach who was lost in a book.

"um, a-are you okay?" corbyn asked, "we didn't get a chance to talk you after prom."

elena's stomach felt heavy, and she felt strange after corbyn brought up the prom incident. it was almost like a trigger. elena didn't want to talk about it, so she said, "yeah, i'm okay."

"don't worry, we all practically harassed the people who did that to you," daniel remarked, "they're all on the pineland basketball team, and they're complete asses. i almost ended up punching them, but jonah held me back."

"we? so... you mean all of you guys confronted those guys?" elena replied, earning a nod from the three, "wow, that's crazy. thank you guys so much."

elena thought it was nice to know that her old and new friend groups had her back.

"uh, so, elena," rosaline started, "do you have plans for graduation day?"

elena shook her head, "not that i know of."

"are you coming to our graduation?" daniel asked, "...or are you going to the pineland graduation?"

elena's face fell, and she realized that she had to make a big decision. she had to choose between going to the graduation of her original best friends, or to attend her boyfriend's graduation along with her newer friends.

"shoot, i didn't really think about that," elena admitted, "so, basically... i have to pick between you guys and zach?"

"it's not like that, el. we're not trying to pressure you to come to the oakland graduation," rosaline explained, "i mean... we obviously want you to come to our graduation. however, we also understand that you would want to go to the pineland graduation because of zach."

"but, we also think that if you came to the oakland graduation, it'd be a good chance for you and presley to properly make up," corbyn added, "she told us what happened in the bathroom at prom."

"i'm not going to lie, but i already planned to go to the pineland graduation," elena admitted, "now i'm starting to rethink my plans, though."

"pickup for corbyn!" the cashier called out.

the three began to stand up from the table, and daniel said, "no matter what decision you make, elena, just make sure you feel that it is the right one."

...

a / n :

which graduation do you guys
think elena will end up attending?